Gorgeous new year!

  • Kari Tanskanen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Here's a few pictures of a gorge between phases 1 and 4 of my layout:

      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p410.jpg
      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p411.jpg
      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p412.jpg

      Happy new year!
      Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
      http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
      Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Kari,

        Very nice scene. It is giving me some ideas for my layout! Happy New Year,

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
      • Helmut Paule
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi Kari,
          very nice Pictures, landscaping etc...
          love your Bridge.

          "Z" Greetings
          Helmut

          > Here's a few pictures of a gorge between phases 1 and 4 of my layout:
          >
          > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p410.jpg
          > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p411.jpg
          > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p412.jpg
          >
          > Happy new year!

          > Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
          > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
          > Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
            Very nice

            > Here's a few pictures of a gorge between phases 1 and 4 of my layout:
            >
            > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p410.jpg
            > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p411.jpg
            > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/phase4/p412.jpg
            >
            > Happy new year!

            > Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
            > http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
            > Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

          • Dale Halterman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
              Kari, Very nice work. I was impressed with the looks of the water in the river.
              I would be inteerested in knowing what materials were used and how you achieved
              the ripple effect. Dale

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
                Dale Halterman wrote:

                > Kari, Very nice work. I was impressed with the looks of the water in the river.
                > I would be inteerested in knowing what materials were used and how you achieved
                > the ripple effect. Dale

                Thanks. I actually expected that someone will ask about the water.
                Lame truth is that I didn't make the the ripples. I bought a sheet
                of clear, hard plastics from a local crafts shop. The effect was
                already there. I think these sheets are meant for glass paintings
                or something like that. Actually the vawe pattern is too orderly,
                but you can't see it from normal viewing angles.

                I painted the underside with a mixture of thinner, green, blue and
                white (in that order of magnitude). I then cut the sheet in half,
                shaped and bent a little and put the halves end-to-end to form the
                rapid. Splashes are just thick white paint. And the whole gorge
                is actually a felt hanging between two shelves.

                I used the same kind of sheet last spring in a diorama showing
                a buoy on an edge of another rapid. Although not directly related to
                trains or Z scale you might like to have a look:
                http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/buoy.jpg

                Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...