M.T. F7's

  • z_guy_john
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Help Please
      Have a lot of Z Marklin locos and one M.T Brass 2-6-0, which I
      love. My problem is that need advice on how to get the Micro Trains
      F7's to run smooth. Over the last couple of years I have owned 3,
      and not one of them is a good runner. The are rough running and buck
      and rock down the track. I keep my track and wheels clean. I know a
      lot of you guys (and ladies) use these locos. What is the secret?
      Thanks in advance for any advise.
      John
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
        John:

        > My problem is that need advice on how to get the Micro Trains
        > F7's to run smooth. Over the last couple of years I have owned 3,
        > and not one of them is a good runner. The are rough running and buck
        > and rock down the track.

        There was a recent exchange on this list that taught me a few tricks on the
        MT F7's: good and bad axles (and attached gears).

        It would appear (from a former MT employee on the list) that "most all" F7's
        have "good axles." Now don't ask me what that means, because it was not
        explained on the list. But I can tell you that you have "good" axles if you
        can freely interchange the axles in the trucks, and the direction they run in.

        "Some" axles are "not so good," again, whatever that means. I've had several
        of those kinds of locos sent to me in plastic zip lock bags over the last
        year, when the owners flat gave up.

        However, in every case, they ran as smooth as sewing machines after taking
        the time to find out which axle goes in which truck and in which direction.
        Yes, its a real pain, assembling, testing, and disassembling until you find
        the "perfect place" for each axle. Set aside an hour to "play the placement
        game." The results are worth it.

        I also learned from the list that its a really bad thing to mix up the worms
        and 1st gears after they leave the factory. I've never tried mixing them,
        due to the way I take them apart and lay them out on the workbench. But I'll
        gladly take the author's word on that topic.

        I'm of the opinion that rather than discover if you have "good" or "bad"
        axles the hard way, the proper way is to clearly lay them out on the table as
        you take them apart, and assemble everything exactly the way you found it
        (left/right, truck slot, etc.). Then you will never know which one you
        happen to have.

        Also use the search engine on this list to find a step by step electrical
        shake down I wrote a few weeks back.

        If you are at your wit's end on your F7(s), contact me off list, and I'll do
        the same no-charge repairs for you.

        Anyone else have any ideas to share?

        Bill K.
        Houston