Re: [z_scale] 2001 - A "Z" Year in Review

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hello Rob,

      I agree, Jeffrey really did a great job on his " 'Z' Year in Review". His
      report is accurate and interesting.

      My predictions for 2002 are based on what I know and what I've been hearing
      from the grapevine.

      1] American Z lines will continue to release high quality locomotives that
      even if you are not a "collector" will satisfy any "runners" needs. You know
      that in the early days of stamp collecting the enthusiasts were a small
      group of folks not unlike ourselves. Anyway, once stamp collecting caught on
      with the larger population...

      2] Cottage industries will continue to make more good things for us,
      structures, accessories, rolling stock and electronics. For instance, Harald
      Friedenreich makes some beautiful operating trackside signals that can be
      actuated with Marklin's 8589 function track and relays.

      3] Some very small steam locomotives with real motors in them are on the
      drawing board but I have no idea when they will be offered.

      4] Aspen Model's and Halwa's fine code 40 turnouts will continue to make
      inroads with those who enjoy building carefully detailed trackwork.

      Finally, as for Micron Art's contributions, we will be releasing new
      railroad support structures in both Z and N scale this year, as well as more
      motorized vehicles, horse apparatus, and urban structures.

      Have a bright and happy new year!

      Reynard

      Rob Kluz wrote: Jeffrey,

      Wow, really nice report. It is amazing to see how much the scale has
      accomplished is just one year. In many ways, this is more then had been
      gained in the first 15 years! Of course, this report reflects primarily the
      North American market. We have also seeing gains on the European front with
      companies like Artitec, Live-Miniaturen, and Heico releasing some very nice
      Z items. Plus, Märklin has really increased their diversity and quality of
      their European line. It is an exciting time for Z scale and I can't wait to
      see what 2002 has to offer.

      By the way, Micro-Trains has announced a new body Z scale body style for
      January. It is a 50' straight side gondola. The first version is lettered
      for Western Maryland.

      Happy New Year!

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd. 6142 Northcliff Blvd. Dublin, OH 43016 Phone/Fax (614)
      764-1703 www.ztrack.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
      Small DoseZ!

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Jeff Rothfus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hi Folks -

        Märklin is apparently not immune to the vagaries of chemical blackening.

        For example: The #81360 Snowplow ships with the new blackened wheelsets,
        but the color density of the blackening seems to vary --- even between
        the wheelsets of the BR-50 and the wheelsets of the Plow itself.

        Cheers,
        jeff