Re: [z_scale] 2001 - A "Z" Year in Review

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
      Jeffrey,

      Wow, really nice report. It is amazing to see how much the scale has
      accomplished is just one year. In many ways, this is more then had been
      gained in the first 15 years! Of course, this report reflects primarily the
      North American market. We have also seeing gains on the European front with
      companies like Artitec, Live-Miniaturen, and Heico releasing some very nice Z
      items. Plus, Märklin has really increased their diversity and quality of
      their European line. It is an exciting time for Z scale and I can't wait to
      see what 2002 has to offer.

      By the way, Micro-Trains has announced a new body Z scale body style for
      January. It is a 50' straight side gondola. The first version is lettered for
      Western Maryland.

      Happy New Year!

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hello Rob,

        I agree, Jeffrey really did a great job on his " 'Z' Year in Review". His
        report is accurate and interesting.

        My predictions for 2002 are based on what I know and what I've been hearing
        from the grapevine.

        1] American Z lines will continue to release high quality locomotives that
        even if you are not a "collector" will satisfy any "runners" needs. You know
        that in the early days of stamp collecting the enthusiasts were a small
        group of folks not unlike ourselves. Anyway, once stamp collecting caught on
        with the larger population...

        2] Cottage industries will continue to make more good things for us,
        structures, accessories, rolling stock and electronics. For instance, Harald
        Friedenreich makes some beautiful operating trackside signals that can be
        actuated with Marklin's 8589 function track and relays.

        3] Some very small steam locomotives with real motors in them are on the
        drawing board but I have no idea when they will be offered.

        4] Aspen Model's and Halwa's fine code 40 turnouts will continue to make
        inroads with those who enjoy building carefully detailed trackwork.

        Finally, as for Micron Art's contributions, we will be releasing new
        railroad support structures in both Z and N scale this year, as well as more
        motorized vehicles, horse apparatus, and urban structures.

        Have a bright and happy new year!

        Reynard

        Rob Kluz wrote: Jeffrey,

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in
        Small DoseZ!

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Jeff Rothfus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Folks -

          Märklin is apparently not immune to the vagaries of chemical blackening.

          For example: The #81360 Snowplow ships with the new blackened wheelsets,
          but the color density of the blackening seems to vary --- even between
          the wheelsets of the BR-50 and the wheelsets of the Plow itself.

          Cheers,
          jeff