Z, Digitrax and Voltages

  • dhensley@dallas.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 18, 2000
      Work is progressing well on the first layout, and I'm almost ready to purchase
      the DCC system and enter into the no doubt character building effort of getting
      the DZ121 into the engine. Before I do that, however, I have a question. All of
      the DCC stuff I'm seeing puts 12 or more VAC onto the tracks, but my
      understanding is that 8 VDC to the engine is the maximum allowable. I've also
      seen a warning not to run the DCC system with less than 10 VAC on the tracks.

      How is everybody else dealing with this? Can the controller be set up to limit
      DC voltage to the motor? What happens when the controller goes into pass-through
      mode? Can the track voltage be dropped to 9 VAC or so and still work?

      Any help or advice will be appreciated. Now if I can just track down Stan
      Jones tonight and get my homaboard...

      Dave
    • Ian Blease
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 18, 2000
        I belive you will not have a problem using DCC with Z scale. While Analog
        systems with Z scale are 8 volts maximum. DCC is 12 volts at a frequency
        that gets converted to a square frequncy (or voltage pulses) to the motor.
        Some systems like the Digitrax System I would run on the N scale setting for
        lower voltage.

        I have both HO and Z scale systems. I own a Chief Digitrax system, which I
        use on the HO layout. I am interested in the possibilty of using it for my Z
        scale at some future point in time. I can see putting a small DCC decoder
        like the DZ121 into some Marklin loco's, but some some would be almost
        impossible, unless you put the decoder in a car behind the loco ( with that
        car coupled to the loco).

        I am sure the list would be interested in any deciptions of DCC decoder
        installations that you complete.

        Ian Blease

        > Work is progressing well on the first layout, and I'm almost ready to
        purchase
        > the DCC system and enter into the no doubt character building effort of
        getting
        > the DZ121 into the engine. Before I do that, however, I have a question.
        All of
        > the DCC stuff I'm seeing puts 12 or more VAC onto the tracks, but my
        > understanding is that 8 VDC to the engine is the maximum allowable. I've
        also
        > seen a warning not to run the DCC system with less than 10 VAC on the
        tracks.

        > How is everybody else dealing with this? Can the controller be set up to
        limit
        > DC voltage to the motor? What happens when the controller goes into
        pass-through
        > mode? Can the track voltage be dropped to 9 VAC or so and still work?
        >
        > Any help or advice will be appreciated. Now if I can just track down Stan
        > Jones tonight and get my homaboard...
        >
        > Dave

        > Sign up for eLerts at:

        > CraZy 'bout Zee!

      • tony
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2000
          hi there

          I have install 5 dz121 in various z gauge modern image locos... im putting
          together my methods of how to achive this... and i will be posting them on
          the web soon and also a page about my new layout...which is under
          construction as we speak... i've had trains running on the main loops now
          and i am working towards the top staion

          Tony H-E
          > I belive you will not have a problem using DCC with Z scale. While Analog
          > systems with Z scale are 8 volts maximum. DCC is 12 volts at a frequency
          > that gets converted to a square frequncy (or voltage pulses) to the motor.
          > Some systems like the Digitrax System I would run on the N scale setting
          for
          > lower voltage.
          >
          > I have both HO and Z scale systems. I own a Chief Digitrax system, which I
          > use on the HO layout. I am interested in the possibilty of using it for my
          > scale at some future point in time. I can see putting a small DCC decoder
          > like the DZ121 into some Marklin loco's, but some some would be almost
          > impossible, unless you put the decoder in a car behind the loco ( with
          that
          > car coupled to the loco).
          >
          > I am sure the list would be interested in any deciptions of DCC decoder
          > installations that you complete.
          >
          > Ian Blease

        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2000
            There are a number of people running Z scale on DCC
            I'm one of them. I had the same concerns as you.
            First, Micro trains recommends not exceeding 8 volts
            and not using pulse power (which DCC is). Marklin
            recommends not exceeding 10 volts. I set my Big Boy
            (or my Chief) to N scale voltage and I measured the
            voltage. It is 9.75 volts and I put it on my osciliscope
            and its a square wave. I have converted a Marklin F7
            by putting the decoder in the B unit. There is room in
            the A unit without doing major cutting of the engine and as
            soon as I do all my heat testing I will put it there.
            I can run it at 1/3 throttle for long periods of time without
            any over heating of the engine (it does get warm but not
            to hot to touch or melt the body). I'm in the process of
            installing a dz121 in a Micro train F7 and do the same
            tests to see if it over heats (the Micro train is a much better
            engine - more weight and geared better).
            I belong to a Z scale Onelist also and I'm in the process
            of developing a FAQ for that list relating to DCC and Z.
            I'll keep you posted on the results of the install in the Micro
            Train engine. The Micro train engine will require major cutting
            to instal the decoder in the A unit.
            John
            >Work is progressing well on the first layout, and I'm almost ready to
            purchase
            >the DCC system and enter into the no doubt character building effort of
            getting
            >the DZ121 into the engine. Before I do that, however, I have a question.
            All of
            >the DCC stuff I'm seeing puts 12 or more VAC onto the tracks, but my
            >understanding is that 8 VDC to the engine is the maximum allowable. I've
            also
            >seen a warning not to run the DCC system with less than 10 VAC on the
            tracks.

            >How is everybody else dealing with this? Can the controller be set up to
            limit
            >DC voltage to the motor? What happens when the controller goes into
            pass-through
            >mode? Can the track voltage be dropped to 9 VAC or so and still work?
            >
            >Any help or advice will be appreciated. Now if I can just track down Stan
            >Jones tonight and get my homaboard...
            >
            >Dave

            >Get great offers on top-notch products that match your interests!
            >Sign up for eLerts at:

            >CraZy 'bout Zee!

          • Ed Scullin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2000
              John have you thought about putting a PennZee B unit with the Micro
              trains, as you did with the Marklin? They are quite cheap, and it would
              save you the trouble of "cutting" the motor mounting blocks.
              Question does DCC give you constant lighting? If not, does anybody
              make a small constant lighting diode set for Z?
              Ed Scullin
            • BJKRONEN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2000
                Ed:

                > does anybody
                > make a small constant lighting diode set for Z?

                Diode? Not that I know about, but Richmond Controls makes constant lighting
                kits for z scale. I've got the Mars lite board and love it.

                Bill Kronenberger
                Houston
              • dhensley@dallas.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 20, 2000
                  Thanks to all for the responses. Yeah, I forgot to ask about the warning against
                  pulsed power too. I'm installing the decoder in the Microtrains Mogul steam
                  engine, so I always have the out of putting it in the tender.

                  Based on the input, I'm going to order one of the Digitrax units and actually
                  start running a train.

                  Cheers!

                  Dave
                • John Jabour
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 20, 2000
                    Dave
                    If you do alot of Z, you might want to join the
                    z_scale Onelist. The archives have alot of
                    good Z data
                    John
                    >Thanks to all for the responses. Yeah, I forgot to ask about the warning
                    against
                    >pulsed power too. I'm installing the decoder in the Microtrains Mogul steam
                    >engine, so I always have the out of putting it in the tender.
                    >
                    >Based on the input, I'm going to order one of the Digitrax units and
                    actually
                    >start running a train.
                    >
                    >Cheers!
                    >
                    >Dave

                    >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
                    >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free coupons!

                    >CraZy 'bout Zee!

                  • John Jabour
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 20, 2000
                      Ed
                      I am considering the PenZee B unit.
                      I haven't hooked up the headlight yet so I'm
                      not sure how the light is going to work.
                      John