MRC Tech 4 and Nn3 or Z locomotives...

  • Bim Bousman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2000
      Hello all,

      Bill Kronenberger suggested that I might re-post this note of mine from
      the Nn3 list to the Z list.

      So that is what I am doing.

      Bim Bousman

      I bought a MRC Tech 4 Railpower 250 based on what you are reading.

      ****comment inserted**************************
      [A Nn3-list member had read MRC's description of their Tech 4 line]
      [They say that the max voltage can be set to whatever you like]

      You can program AVERAGE maximum voltage, but pulses remain over 20 volts
      in amplitude. It got my 8805 VERY HOT in less than 20 seconds.

      I tried putting a bunch of diodes in series with the track, but then it
      was just another pulse powerpack.

      It is totally useless for commercial Nn3 or Z locos.

      Bim Bousman

      Bim:

      Wonderful testimonial !!! And accurate too.

      I keep screaming on the Z_Scale list about the dangers of SOME
      combinations
      of pulse packs and z scale locomotives. Folks on the list must think
      I'm
      nuts since I'm accusing "reputable manufacturers" of selling dangerous
      products.

      But its true. "Some" combinations work all day. "Some" combinations
      work
      for a few minutes, then the loco goes Poof !!! In this case, almost all
      scale locos would go Poof !!

      In the case of the MRC 2800, almost "none" of the z scale locos find
      problems
      with it. Mind you, a 2800 hits the locos with 13vdc at half throttle,
      but
      only 30 times a second, and its waveform is a sine wave, not square. At
      full
      throttle, it hits the locos with a full 13vdc RMS....way too much.
      Fortunately, no one has problems at the high end, because their locos
      are
      doing a scale 300mph by the time you get to 3/4 throttle, so they never
      turn
      it up that high. However, if they have an accident and go to full
      throttle,
      it won't take long to fry a loco.

      If you get the urge to spread the alarm, a posting on the Z_Scale list
      would
      go a long way to help convince folks I'm not a nut case, and there are
      real
      dangers out there.

      Regards,
      Bill Kronenberger