Re: [z_scale] Psuedo-catenary?

  • Ell Geib
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      >I'm working on a Swiss layout, and as you all probably know, that means
      >that the whole thing should be covered in catenary. (And my locos are
      >electric, so it would be unrealistic otherwise.)
      >
      >The Marklin catenary kits, though, are frightfully expensive. Have any
      >of you had experience in creating catenary-like structures out of other
      >items? I have a fairly good idea of what the poles look like, but I'm
      >hesitant to start making them out of wood (since they're usually metal.)
      >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some time next week, I'll
      >go down to my hobby shop and browse the N-scale street lights for
      >inspiration, otherwise.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >-awc

      Ashley Campbell,
      I have no idea what anyone may have tried to date, but considering
      the size of th Marklin catenary, I have wondered about simply using
      the techniques and even the same wire that HO trolley enthusiasts
      use. They have developed rather solid techniques over the years and
      the same wire is probably not larger that the Marklin. You probably
      could get away with smaller diameter wire. It would be decidely
      cheaper.

      Ell Geib

    • Wild Zontar
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hi Ashley,

        I don't have any experience with catenary, but couldn't you make it out of
        wood and simply paint it a metal color such as silver or gray? Considering
        the size of Z, I don't think any wood grain would show through the paint
        and certainly wouldn't be noticeable if it did.

        Greg

      • DBarnblatt@usa.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          I am currently working on a swiss layout as well and I have purchased
          several catenary kits from FR (Harald Freudenreich). His kits are true
          to the prototype and very realistic.
          He has a sensible approach to making it non-functional. He uses brass I
          beams and several photo-etch pieces as well as cast brass pieces to
          make the various arms, insulators and cross beams found on the Swiss
          system. He even has a weight and pulley detail set to add more
          realism.
          All of these need to be built yourself by soldering the parts together
          and painting a silver grey to match. He recommends usung a lycra
          thread (?; a thread that streches) for the overhead wires. I plan on
          making mine functioning so I am soldering Volmer N-scale catenary wire
          for the overhead. The FR system is a very good choice because it is
          Swiss and not powered (exactly what you are looking for) and the
          Marklin is only available in the German Catenary design.

          David

        • narrowgauge@isbjorn.proceon.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
            You might check out this months Railmodel Journal, it contains an
            article on someone who created HO catenary for his Bachmann Acela
            train:

            http://www.railmodeljournal.com/nov2site/Pages/nov2content.html
            (this is only a description of the article, you have to buy the
            magazine to get the article)

            Also, if you are interested in building NA proto from scratch; a
            pretty good reference for the types/styles of catenary used in the
            MidWest/Northwest is the hardcover book "Milwaukee Electrics" by
            Hundman Publishing. Apparently, there was quite a variety of "poles"
            used in the early days (including what looks to be just plain old
            telegraph style poles) The book also contains a quite detailed
            appendix with detailed drawings and diagrams of catenary work,
            substations and loco specs (some loco builders drawings are scattered
            throughout the text). This book is a gem for anyway who wants a good
            reference on electrics. Of course, once you pick it up you might feel
            the need to scratchbuild a Little Joe in Z.

            G. Beckman