Really easy way to add wt. to M* engines w/ plastic bodies

  • rredpen@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      While waiting in a discount craft store while my significant other
      was buying misc holiday stuff, I noticed rolls of self-adhesive (peel-
      and-stick on one side)refridgerator magnet tape. Its about 1/2-inch
      wide and about 1/16-inch thick and is sold in rolls about 24 inches
      long for 99 cents. The stuff is very heavy, feeling almost like a
      roll of lead. Anyway, I taped appropriately sized
      strips/rectangles/squares on the insides of the plastic engine bodies
      where ever they would fit (mostly on the "ceiling"). I did this on a
      a Marklin F7 (lots of room in this one), an E40, and a class 465
      Swiss loc. The effects are remarkable! All are heavier and run very
      noticeabley better and quieter. The transformation of the E40 was
      most remarkable.

      Ron
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
        Maybe the extra magnetism also beefed up your motors also!

        (Just kidding)...

        Yeah it's heavy, but I think no where near lead... maybe 2/3
        the weight... but whatever is convenient, and more important,
        whatever works..

        Cheers,

        Greg