Psuedo-catenary?

  • Ashley Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      I'm working on a Swiss layout, and as you all probably know, that means
      that the whole thing should be covered in catenary. (And my locos are
      electric, so it would be unrealistic otherwise.)

      The Marklin catenary kits, though, are frightfully expensive. Have any
      of you had experience in creating catenary-like structures out of other
      items? I have a fairly good idea of what the poles look like, but I'm
      hesitant to start making them out of wood (since they're usually metal.)
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some time next week, I'll
      go down to my hobby shop and browse the N-scale street lights for
      inspiration, otherwise.

      Thanks!

      -awc
    • Arnim v. Herff
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        >I'm working on a Swiss layout, and as you all probably know, that means
        >that the whole thing should be covered in catenary. (And my locos are
        >electric, so it would be unrealistic otherwise.)
        >
        >The Marklin catenary kits, though, are frightfully expensive. Have any
        >of you had experience in creating catenary-like

        There are no experiencies in that matter by my side, but I've seen a
        solution wich are impressive. First, in theory I am not a friend of
        fake-catenaries, but on an exhibition (Intermodellbau 2000 in Dortmund,
        Germany) SWISS-catenary by Freudenreich shows advantages of this way. An
        in-scale catenary in Z IS really remarkabel. Ask Harald Freudenreich
        directly about his product: mailto:FR.model@...

        Hope this helps both (Ashley & Harald)
        Greetings Arnim

        #### Bitte keine Mails in HTML, nur plain/text #####
        #### ## /"\ ASCII Ribbon ## #####
        #### ## \ / Campaign ## #####
        #### ## X Against HTML ## #####
        #### ## / \ in Mail/News ## #####
        #### Please don't send mails in HTML, only ASCII #####
      • Ell Geib
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
          >I'm working on a Swiss layout, and as you all probably know, that means
          >that the whole thing should be covered in catenary. (And my locos are
          >electric, so it would be unrealistic otherwise.)
          >
          >The Marklin catenary kits, though, are frightfully expensive. Have any
          >of you had experience in creating catenary-like structures out of other
          >items? I have a fairly good idea of what the poles look like, but I'm
          >hesitant to start making them out of wood (since they're usually metal.)
          >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some time next week, I'll
          >go down to my hobby shop and browse the N-scale street lights for
          >inspiration, otherwise.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >
          >-awc

          Ashley Campbell,
          I have no idea what anyone may have tried to date, but considering
          the size of th Marklin catenary, I have wondered about simply using
          the techniques and even the same wire that HO trolley enthusiasts
          use. They have developed rather solid techniques over the years and
          the same wire is probably not larger that the Marklin. You probably
          could get away with smaller diameter wire. It would be decidely
          cheaper.

          Ell Geib

        • Wild Zontar
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            Hi Ashley,

            I don't have any experience with catenary, but couldn't you make it out of
            wood and simply paint it a metal color such as silver or gray? Considering
            the size of Z, I don't think any wood grain would show through the paint
            and certainly wouldn't be noticeable if it did.

            Greg

          • DBarnblatt@usa.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
              I am currently working on a swiss layout as well and I have purchased
              several catenary kits from FR (Harald Freudenreich). His kits are true
              to the prototype and very realistic.
              He has a sensible approach to making it non-functional. He uses brass I
              beams and several photo-etch pieces as well as cast brass pieces to
              make the various arms, insulators and cross beams found on the Swiss
              system. He even has a weight and pulley detail set to add more
              realism.
              All of these need to be built yourself by soldering the parts together
              and painting a silver grey to match. He recommends usung a lycra
              thread (?; a thread that streches) for the overhead wires. I plan on
              making mine functioning so I am soldering Volmer N-scale catenary wire
              for the overhead. The FR system is a very good choice because it is
              Swiss and not powered (exactly what you are looking for) and the
              Marklin is only available in the German Catenary design.

              David

            • narrowgauge@isbjorn.proceon.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
                You might check out this months Railmodel Journal, it contains an
                article on someone who created HO catenary for his Bachmann Acela
                train:

                http://www.railmodeljournal.com/nov2site/Pages/nov2content.html
                (this is only a description of the article, you have to buy the
                magazine to get the article)

                Also, if you are interested in building NA proto from scratch; a
                pretty good reference for the types/styles of catenary used in the
                MidWest/Northwest is the hardcover book "Milwaukee Electrics" by
                Hundman Publishing. Apparently, there was quite a variety of "poles"
                used in the early days (including what looks to be just plain old
                telegraph style poles) The book also contains a quite detailed
                appendix with detailed drawings and diagrams of catenary work,
                substations and loco specs (some loco builders drawings are scattered
                throughout the text). This book is a gem for anyway who wants a good
                reference on electrics. Of course, once you pick it up you might feel
                the need to scratchbuild a Little Joe in Z.

                G. Beckman