RE: [z_scale] Performance of Z-locs

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
      Edwin,

      Since I collect European locos (Swiss) I am probably the least informed, but
      also least biased on this one!

      Performance of locos depends on a variety of factors:
      1) Weight of the locomotive
      2) number of electrical pick ups (how many wheels conduct power from the
      rails)
      3) maintenance of the locomotive (how clean are the wheels, how clean are
      the electrical pickups, friction inside the loco {lubrication of gears, how
      tight are the brushes on the motor} how used are the brushes, how worn is
      the motor, etc, etc)
      4) what type of motor does the loco have (3 pole, 5 pole, Faulhaber /
      coreless) and does it have flywheels?
      5) how you power the loco (Marklin power pack; Pure DC; Pulsed DC; Digital /
      DCC)
      6) some other things I am forgetting - I'm sure others list members will
      remind me in a highly eloquent, yet ever so slightly condescending way!
      (grin)

      If you have the Marklin F7's and Mikado, then you pretty much have the
      entire Marklin US lineup.

      MT locos are MUCH heavier than Marklin. I would suggest an MT F7 as your
      next purchase.

      If you have the $$$ - go get an AZL loco. Coreless motors, flywheels, lots
      of weight - the C44's are GREAT - so are the PAs.

      If you are adventuresome like myself, convert to DCC. Newer decoders feature
      Back EMF, which will pretty much make even the worst locomotive perform
      quite acceptably!

      Best,
      -Rob
      www.z220.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
        Rob ,
        stupid question, but what is Back EMF?
        BTW, I did convert a Marklin F7 to digital with a Lenz decoder
        (with the help of the explanation on your website). Sadly, it didn't
        improve the performance. However, I'm still planning to convert
        the other locs to DCC in the future. Especially now that I've
        learned a trick to check if a decoder improves performance. If you
        connect the electricity pickups of the decoder directly to your DCC
        power output and the wires for the motor to the rails, you can
        check out how a loc will perform beforehand (without a
        conversion). I hope this makes any sense...

        Regards, Edwin

        --- In z_scale@y..., "Robert Allbritton" <robert@p...> wrote:

        > If you are adventuresome like myself, convert to DCC. Newer
        decoders feature
        > Back EMF, which will pretty much make even the worst
        locomotive perform
        > quite acceptably!
        >
        > Best,
        > -Rob
        > www.z220.com

        DoseZ!

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • John Engbers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
          The micro trains will pull 20 cars up a grade by itself the Marklin will not even come close.
          Regards John Engbers

          As it is almost Xmas time, I have to make my wish list. I could need
          some help. Í mainly collect US material and own Maerklins F7's and
          Mikado. They have the new motor. I'm not very happy with their
          performance. They can't run slowly (so no switching) and make a high
          whining noise (especially the F7). Can anyone comment on the
          performance of the MT locs. And, in general, what are good performing
          locs in the whole Maerklin range ( so both US and European).

          Thanks in advance,

          Edwin

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
            To all those interested: the answer to this question was posted
            on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale_dcc

            Note: All Z related questions are welcome here. You may find
            more technical discussions re: DCC on the above list.