Performance of Z-locs

  • eouwejan@casema.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
      Hi there,

      As it is almost Xmas time, I have to make my wish list. I could need
      some help. Í mainly collect US material and own Maerklins F7's and
      Mikado. They have the new motor. I'm not very happy with their
      performance. They can't run slowly (so no switching) and make a high
      whining noise (especially the F7). Can anyone comment on the
      performance of the MT locs. And, in general, what are good performing
      locs in the whole Maerklin range ( so both US and European).

      Thanks in advance,

      Edwin
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
        Edwin,

        Since I collect European locos (Swiss) I am probably the least informed, but
        also least biased on this one!

        Performance of locos depends on a variety of factors:
        1) Weight of the locomotive
        2) number of electrical pick ups (how many wheels conduct power from the
        rails)
        3) maintenance of the locomotive (how clean are the wheels, how clean are
        the electrical pickups, friction inside the loco {lubrication of gears, how
        tight are the brushes on the motor} how used are the brushes, how worn is
        the motor, etc, etc)
        4) what type of motor does the loco have (3 pole, 5 pole, Faulhaber /
        coreless) and does it have flywheels?
        5) how you power the loco (Marklin power pack; Pure DC; Pulsed DC; Digital /
        DCC)
        6) some other things I am forgetting - I'm sure others list members will
        remind me in a highly eloquent, yet ever so slightly condescending way!
        (grin)

        If you have the Marklin F7's and Mikado, then you pretty much have the
        entire Marklin US lineup.

        MT locos are MUCH heavier than Marklin. I would suggest an MT F7 as your
        next purchase.

        If you have the $$$ - go get an AZL loco. Coreless motors, flywheels, lots
        of weight - the C44's are GREAT - so are the PAs.

        If you are adventuresome like myself, convert to DCC. Newer decoders feature
        Back EMF, which will pretty much make even the worst locomotive perform
        quite acceptably!

        Best,
        -Rob
        www.z220.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
          Rob ,
          stupid question, but what is Back EMF?
          BTW, I did convert a Marklin F7 to digital with a Lenz decoder
          (with the help of the explanation on your website). Sadly, it didn't
          improve the performance. However, I'm still planning to convert
          the other locs to DCC in the future. Especially now that I've
          learned a trick to check if a decoder improves performance. If you
          connect the electricity pickups of the decoder directly to your DCC
          power output and the wires for the motor to the rails, you can
          check out how a loc will perform beforehand (without a
          conversion). I hope this makes any sense...

          Regards, Edwin

          --- In z_scale@y..., "Robert Allbritton" <robert@p...> wrote:

          > If you are adventuresome like myself, convert to DCC. Newer
          decoders feature
          > Back EMF, which will pretty much make even the worst
          locomotive perform
          > quite acceptably!
          >
          > Best,
          > -Rob
          > www.z220.com

          DoseZ!

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • John Engbers
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
            The micro trains will pull 20 cars up a grade by itself the Marklin will not even come close.
            Regards John Engbers

            As it is almost Xmas time, I have to make my wish list. I could need
            some help. Í mainly collect US material and own Maerklins F7's and
            Mikado. They have the new motor. I'm not very happy with their
            performance. They can't run slowly (so no switching) and make a high
            whining noise (especially the F7). Can anyone comment on the
            performance of the MT locs. And, in general, what are good performing
            locs in the whole Maerklin range ( so both US and European).

            Thanks in advance,

            Edwin

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
              To all those interested: the answer to this question was posted
              on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale_dcc

              Note: All Z related questions are welcome here. You may find
              more technical discussions re: DCC on the above list.