Marklin Uncouplers

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 10, 1999
      Hi folks.

      There is a question floating around the "other" z list, but no one there has
      bothered to answer it either time its asked.

      Since this list is not known to be bashful, I'll ask it here.

      A couple of us have tried to make the Marklin 8587 uncoupler work reliabily
      and failed. Can they be made to work, or is it just a hit-or-miss chance
      that the cars will uncouple? Or did you just change out to MicroTrains
      couplers and forget it?

      Any experiences, good or bad?

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 10, 1999
        Hey Bill,

        For my part, the fast answer is to convert to MT's but you might as well
        forget about uncoupling with them. My experience with the under the track
        magnets is that uncoupling operation is far less reliable than the N scale
        counterpart. Another problem is cars uncoupling unexpectedly over the
        magnet. I suspect it is due to the small diameter of the metal uncoupling
        "hose" on the Z scale uncouplers and the small drag of the cars. Hey, that
        must be why MTL puts those little axle retainer springs in with their
        coupler kits!

        But that is not the question, is it?

        I have read that the M�rklin uncoupling track works but you have to position
        the cars absolutely in the correct position to get the uncoupling action.

        There was a good discussion of this topic way back when but I don't recall
        on what list. I checked Usenet and didn't get any hits so it must have been
        on the Z92 list.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        >From: BJKRONEN@...
        >To: z_scale@onelist.com
        >Subject: [z_scale] Marklin Uncouplers
        >Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:18:10 EDT
        >
        >From: BJKRONEN@...
        >
        >Hi folks.
        >
        >There is a question floating around the "other" z list, but no one there
        >has
        >bothered to answer it either time its asked.
        >
        >Since this list is not known to be bashful, I'll ask it here.
        >
        >A couple of us have tried to make the Marklin 8587 uncoupler work reliabily
        >and failed. Can they be made to work, or is it just a hit-or-miss chance
        >that the cars will uncouple? Or did you just change out to MicroTrains
        >couplers and forget it?
        >
        >Any experiences, good or bad?
        >
        >Bill Kronenberger
        >Houston

        >ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

        >Z Scale RULES!

      • sutfin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 10, 1999
          Bill,

          Don't know that there is any secret to it. I have a couple of the
          Marklin uncouplers installed and don't have any problems. Just roll the
          train slowly over them, press the controller just before the couplers
          you are interested in separating pass over it and presto, two parts to
          the train. Now, maybe it's because I didn't know they were supposed to
          be touchy and troublesome.

          Was interested in Jeff's response about MT couplers. Haven't tried to
          set up an uncoupling for them but plan on doing so as most of the
          rolling stock I run is MT and use MT couplers. Anyone else have any
          suggestions, or input?

          Happy Z modeling!!

          Terry
        • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 10, 1999
            Terry:

            > Was interested in Jeff's response about MT couplers. Haven't tried to
            > set up an uncoupling for them but plan on doing so as most of the
            > rolling stock I run is MT and use MT couplers. Anyone else have any
            > suggestions, or input?

            This is turning out to be an interesting thread. I have trouble with
            Marklins, you don't. Jeff has problems with MT's, but I don't. If the
            thread keeps up, we'll have some great answers out of all this.

            But I cheat a little, which may explain some of the differences Jeff and I
            have with the MT's.

            On the mainline, I only use electro-magnets (12v) that a fellow sells in the
            USA to raise money for his model RR club (4 for $20usd). That insures I have
            no embarrasements when at shows. No electric power, no magnet. Simple.

            On the branches, I use permanent magnets under the cork, flush with the
            table, and they work fine too. Perfect uncoupling. But at that point, I am
            not running a full train over it, at speed. I'm just dropping off a car or
            two, and at very low speeds. One of the mega-building-supply retailers
            (Loew's) sells hobby magnets for pennies that work wonderfully.

            My goal was to have a few Marklin uncouplers on the layout for "visiting"
            trains, so they could do "operations" on my layout, even though they had
            Marklin couplers. All of my locos and cars have been converted to MT's.

            Let's see where this all goes. Thanks for the response.

            Bill Kronenberger
            Houston
          • Nelson Snedeker
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
              If you are having trouble with Marklin uncouplers ( who doesn't ) ,
              look on Page 29 of Jan. - Feb. 2003 issue of Ztrack . There is an
              article on Do it yourself conversion to electro-magnetic uncoupling
              that will not over heat , works every time ( if you have followed the
              directions ) and will work equally well on Micro train couplers on the
              main line where the under track magnets cause surprise uncoupling if the
              train has a momentary hesitation . $30 + or - will get you all you need
              to make 4 Uncouplers

              Happy "Z"ing Nel
            • Alexander Roch
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
                Could anyone describe the Ztrack-uncoupling or show a photo?

                ALexander, who lives in Austria and doesn't want to wait for 4 weeks for
                a copy.

                If you are having trouble with Marklin uncouplers ( who doesn't ) ,
                look on Page 29 of Jan. - Feb. 2003 issue of Ztrack . There is an
                article on Do it yourself conversion to electro-magnetic uncoupling
                that will not over heat , works every time ( if you have followed the
                directions ) and will work equally well on Micro train couplers on the
                main line where the under track magnets cause surprise uncoupling if the

                train has a momentary hesitation . $30 + or - will get you all you need
                to make 4 Uncouplers

                Happy "Z"ing Nel

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706
                533816:HM/A=1853618/R=0/SIG=11ts59qjv/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq
                so=60178338&partid=4116730> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=566030033>

                "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                DoseZ!

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Helmut Paule
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                  Hallo Nelson,
                  You mean Page 26 ? Jan./Feb 2003
                  "Z" Greetings, Helmut

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                    Hello Helmut :
                    You are correct , I guess I am not yet used to
                    having only one good eye . I apologize to any one who made a fruitless
                    search for the article . Thank you for the correction . Happy
                    "Z"ing Nel

                    Helmut Paule wrote:

                    > Hallo Nelson,
                    > You mean Page 26 ? Jan./Feb 2003
                    > "Z" Greetings, Helmut

                  • Joel S
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 29, 2004
                      Hi Gang
                      I was laying some track down today, a basic oval with two sidings,
                      and on each siding I have an uncoupler. Without a transformer, I was
                      trying to uncouple cars, by moving and holding the uncoupler in the
                      up position. Nothing happens. Does the track need its DC to operate
                      the uncoupler, even though the uncoupler works on AC? Does that
                      explain the ugly metal strip at the bottom of the uncoupler? Any help
                      would be greatly appreciated.
                      Regards Joel
                    • Robert Allbritton
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 29, 2004
                        Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....

                        The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would estimate
                        it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
                        Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
                        even that is completely unacceptable in my book.

                        So what to do? Well there are other solutions:

                        Manfred Jorger has a system of modifying your Marklin couplers so they will
                        uncouple magnetically (use of an electro magnet will allow you to remote
                        uncouple) It involves putting a little metal tab on the bottom of each
                        coupler. It is VERY reliable.

                        Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will uncouple
                        magnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European prototype
                        trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing less appealing
                        than the appearance of Marklin couplers.

                        In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

                        Best,
                        -Rob

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
                          > Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....
                          >
                          > The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would
                          estimate
                          > it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
                          > Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
                          > even that is completely unacceptable in my book.

                          Personally I got better than this, however if any ballast gets anywhere near
                          they get very flaky. Trying by hand never seemed to work for me. However it
                          certainly was a bit crappy.

                          The system jorger website http://www.system-joerger.de/ has a nice video.
                          This is only on the german version, select neuheiten, followed by
                          elektrisches Entkupplungssystem then the video is at the bottomm of the
                          page.
                          --
                          Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                          Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
                            Hi guys
                            im just converting over to microtrains couplers
                            but one thing im looking for rather than having perminent magnets to
                            uncouple im looking for electro maganets

                            any one got any ideas of where to look and what i should be looking for id
                            like to fire the electro magnet from a dcc accessory decoder but if not then
                            id get the dcc to fire a relay id like to be looking at 10- 20 secs
                            activation time

                            Tony

                            > > Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....
                            > >
                            > > The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would
                            > estimate
                            > > it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
                            > > Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
                            > > even that is completely unacceptable in my book.
                            >
                            > Personally I got better than this, however if any ballast gets anywhere
                            near
                            > they get very flaky. Trying by hand never seemed to work for me. However
                            it
                            > certainly was a bit crappy.
                            >
                            > The system jorger website http://www.system-joerger.de/ has a nice video.
                            > This is only on the german version, select neuheiten, followed by
                            > elektrisches Entkupplungssystem then the video is at the bottomm of the
                            > page.
                            > --
                            > Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                            > Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • jim_manley_alpha_six
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
                              Hi Tony,

                              Are you going to use electromagnets to prevent unwanted uncoupling?
                              Probably not a bad idea. However, positioning the electromagnets so
                              they provide a magnetic field in the correct orientation is going to
                              be the challenge. I don't think you can just mount them under the
                              track with their cores perpendicular to the surface of the layout,
                              since the magnetic field's lines of flux would then be shooting
                              upward, and you need them to act side-to-side across the track (the
                              permanent magnet uncouplers that go under the tracks have their
                              North/South poles oriented across the tracks, so the iron wires on the
                              couplers are pulled laterally along the magnetic field's lines of
                              flux). You may have to mount two electromagnets in the surface of the
                              layout, one on either side of the track, angled slightly upward (maybe
                              ~10 degrees - lots of experimentation may be needed to get this
                              working just right), so that the electromagnet cores are aiming at
                              where the couplers will be above the track. I have no idea how
                              powerful the electromagnets will need to be, but obviously, the closer
                              they are to the track, the better (i.e., right next to the ties).
                              You'll also want to make sure you wire up the electromagnets so that
                              their magnetic fields are added together, and not cancel each other
                              out (swapping the connections on one electromagnet should result in
                              one that results in a much stronger field).

                              I assume you know that you'll still need to back down the train until
                              the couplers to be separated are aligned between the electromagnets,
                              because MTL couplers won't release until the tension in them has been
                              removed. The alignment is probably going to need to be fairly precise
                              unless you use some really honkin' big electromagnets (but don't use
                              any that are too big, or you could pull the cars, or even a loco,
                              right off the track! (our little trains are just too light! :) You'll
                              want to position some kind of non-obvious marker next to the tracks,
                              such as a brakeman figure, signal box, etc., so you can more easily
                              precisely line up the cars to be uncoupled.

                              I'd be interested in hearing how this works out for you, and what the
                              minimum size of the electromagnets needed will be, if someone else
                              hasn't already done this. I'm just curious enough that I might go
                              visit the hardware lab in the other building later this evening,
                              borrow some armature wire and dig up a nail, and do some winding! The
                              key info that needs to be figured out will be the number of turns of
                              wire (more is better), the gauge of the wire (smaller is better), and
                              the diameter and composition of the core (smaller and more ferrous is
                              better, so the field is more intense along the axis of the core).

                              All Z BeZt,
                              Jim

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ahellary" <ahellary@n...> wrote:
                              > Hi guys
                              > im just converting over to microtrains couplers
                              > but one thing im looking for rather than having perminent magnets to
                              > uncouple im looking for electro maganets
                              >
                              > any one got any ideas of where to look and what i should be looking
                              > for id like to fire the electro magnet from a dcc accessory decoder
                              > but if not then id get the dcc to fire a relay id like to be looking
                              > at 10- 20 secs activation time
                              >
                              > Tony
                            • daledwardsmith
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
                                Hi,

                                Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
                                wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
                                have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
                                wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
                                appreciated.

                                Thanks
                              • Uwe Liermann
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
                                  Hello daledwardsmith,

                                  > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
                                  > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
                                  > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
                                  > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
                                  > appreciated.

                                  the yellow goes back to the power source (if need be via the 7209
                                  strip to be connected with other uncouplers or switches), and the blue
                                  goes via a contact button to the other pole of the power source. If
                                  you have a Maerklin power pack it is the yellow and grey contacts of
                                  the power source. But any 10V AC power source will do.

                                  A hint:

                                  all yellow wires can be connected to go back to the power source,
                                  whereas the blue wires are always the one to go via the contact
                                  button. This goes for the uncouplers and the switches.

                                  Also have a look at the Z_Scale enZyclopedia at the groups website,
                                  and here under:

                                  Track - Tips on wiring Märklin track components

                                  and

                                  Electricity and Electronics - Marklin plugs and sockets: colour coding

                                  --
                                  GreetingZ
                                  Uwe
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007
                                    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000
                                    "daledwardsmith" <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
                                    > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
                                    > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
                                    > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
                                    > appreciated.

                                    Its just a solenoid. So AC accessory power from the controller (*NOT*
                                    16v as with larger scales). Wire one side of the uncoupler direct to the
                                    controller and the other through a push-to-connect switch to the other
                                    side of the controller power.

                                    Momentary contact won't do - but if you are using the Marklin boxes they
                                    are not in fact momentary contact but provide power while you push the
                                    button, so yo can wire one to one side of a point control switch (and
                                    indeed another to the other side)
                                  • Dale Smith
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                                      Dear Alan,

                                      Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

                                      Thanks so much,
                                      Dale Smith

                                      Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote: On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                                        Hello Dale,

                                        > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
                                        > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
                                        > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
                                        > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
                                        > missed something?

                                        For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
                                        can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
                                        To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.

                                        The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.

                                        The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.

                                        Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.

                                        I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
                                        permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
                                        destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
                                        long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
                                        control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
                                        pressed.

                                        The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
                                        should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
                                        the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
                                        connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
                                        power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
                                        piece 8588.

                                        --
                                        GreetingZ
                                        Uwe
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                                          On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 01:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
                                          Dale Smith <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

                                          > Dear Alan,
                                          >
                                          > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

                                          Are you sure you have an uncoupler and not a circuit track ? Does it have
                                          a gray rectangular block on the top about 1cm or a much smaller black peg
                                          that can spring forward or back from centre ?
                                        • daledwardsmith
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
                                            Thank you all for your help, Alan, Uwe (and as always, Jim)

                                            First, I have spent too long underneath the layout, and was in fact
                                            looking at a turnout when I saw the two blue wires. Sorry for the
                                            confusion. I will make it downtown to find a 7270 box this week.

                                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

                                            > Hello Dale,
                                            >
                                            > > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
                                            > > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
                                            > > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
                                            > > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
                                            > > missed something?
                                            >

                                            > For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
                                            > can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
                                            > To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.
                                            >
                                            > The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.
                                            >
                                            > The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.
                                            >
                                            > Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.
                                            >
                                            > I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
                                            > permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
                                            > destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
                                            > long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
                                            > control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
                                            > pressed.
                                            >
                                            > The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
                                            > should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
                                            > the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
                                            > connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
                                            > power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
                                            > piece 8588.
                                            >

                                            > --
                                            > GreetingZ
                                            > Uwe

                                          • solo_clipper
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                                              Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will
                                              uncouplemagnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European
                                              prototype trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing
                                              less appealing than the appearance of Marklin couplers.
                                              In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

                                              Best,
                                              -Rob

                                              I found this old thread and am in the same situation. Do I switch to
                                              MicroTrain couplers on my European prototype trains? Is it a tough job
                                              to do about 20 units? I want to use the MicroTrain sectional track and
                                              want an uncoupler track. If anybody has done this tell me of your
                                              experiances.
                                            • Ralph Scott
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                                                Try the jorger system - uses existing marklin couplers with tiny magnets attached and an electromagnet under the track - not cheap but 100% succesfull and easy to install.
                                                I use it in a fully automated end to end situation.
                                                Ralph