Re: smallest 6.5mm track radii - more info than needed

  • Harbormaster
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2014
      The smallest Rokuhan radius track is the R046 Curved R45mm-45deg. Their website says “This track is for N narrow gauge. Z gauge trains cannot run on this track.” We know that both Nn3 and Z use the same 6.5mm gauge, so this statement may be a bit misleading or confusing.

      The PowerMAX! 6.5mm 0-4-0 powered chassis with its 11mm wheelbase can negotiate the R046. Our Nn3 GE25T diesel, Nn3 BRILL Gas/Electric, and our demo's of the Z 25' EMD Model 40 Diesel Switcher and Z SP Interurban 72' Gas-Electric are currently operating on 6.5mm gauge track on more than 100 layouts. See specification drawing at http://www.searails.com/powermax.html.

      Now here comes more info than needed - Regrets!

      Rokuhan’s 6.5mm R018 Curved track (R70mm radius-45degree segments) presents three circles from a common center. So the actual outside diameter of this product’s circle would be 140mm (5.5118”). This circle fits on a compact disk.

      The first circle is inner rail at 45mm - 6.5mm/2 or 65-3.25 = 41.75mm and the outer rail at 45 mm + 6.5mm/2 or 45 + 3.25 or 48.25mm produces an actual radius of (70mm – 3.25mm) of 66.75mm from center of circle to centerline of track and it takes 8 pieces of this curved track to complete a circle.

      So if you draw an arc on track center line to represent a proposed locomotive's length, you can rotate your locomotive around these endpoints to determine the width of body required allowing the truck’s wheelbase to follow the track, and the wheelbase required to negotiate the curve without shorting, derailing, or binding.

      But, remember a B-B configuration (railcar or locomotive) may have individual trucks with wheelbases that can navigate through these tight radii, but the body length which separates the distance between the truck's centers may not allow full transit through the curve. "May" is the operative word here.

      I've been wrong many times before. This may be another time. I'm sure someone will check my math - no problem. I won't dispute corrections.

      Jim

      Whats the sharpest curve available in either Micro Trains or Rokuhan track?
    • cnwtrainman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2014
        Thank you m Great answer.

        Sent from my Galaxy S®III

        Whats the sharpest curve available in either Micro Trains or Rokuhan track?

      • Larry Card
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2014
          45mm? At 25.4mm per inch, about an inch and three quarters...that's mine track right there.

          V/R
          Larry P. Card
          Franklinton NC
             _________