Searails EMD Model 40

  • garthah
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2014
      Click image for larger version. Name:	searails Z-scale EMD type 40-image.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	63879

      THis is the new offering from Searails.
      http://www.searails.com/locomotives/...0switcher.html

      I have posted some videos on my Youtube channel
      https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGarthah

      I was impressed with this engine. It is a brass casting on a power max V2 chassis with directional lighting.

      It will run on the smallest of Rokuhan curved radii, on the flat I was able to pull reliably 7 Intermountain cars, which are mounted on AZL trucks with auto latch couplers, The Model 40 comes with Micro Trains 905 mounted at both ends. After seeing how many grain hoppers it would pull, I switched to Micro Trains cars and was able to reliably pull a mixed train of 10 cars with a caboose, again all these cars have had their wheel sets changed to metal wheels sets. I tested the engine with grain hoppers on 4% grade and was able to start and stop 4 cars on a grade with a curve (R220mm). all testing was done on ROkuhan roadbed track on my 2 x 6 ft test and show layout. David George also received one of these engines.

      cheerz
      Garth

    • Dave Mummery
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2014
        Thanks Garth!
        Very cool, pretty ballsie little thing, it may also be the solution to powering my N scale CNS&M pups!

        Dave Mummery

[...]

      • Harbormaster
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2014
          David,

          Do you think a PCC car would sell in Z scale?

          Jim

          http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

          "garth.a.hamilton@... [z_scale]" <z_scale@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          THis is the new offering from Searails.
          http://www.searails.com/locomotives/...0switcher.html http://www.searails.com/locomotives/zemdmodel40switcher.html

          I have posted some videos on my Youtube channel
          https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGarthah https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGarthah

          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2014
            Jim,
            I'm a traction modeler so you might be asking the wrong guy because I'd buy but would any one else, I have to think others would buy.
            I don't know what yours and Stony relationship is like but he has a Birney on Shapeways; I'm thinking you may want to ask him if he has sold any?

            Dave Mummery

            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2014
              I think  you need a power unit with a short wheel base than the current Power max V2 and a motor with a smaller diameter and maybe lower the height of the power max with different gearing to get projects like a PCC going, this would open quite a few more possibilities in addition to a PCC. I can see pans working from over head but not sure about a pole, they are hard enough to make in N not sure about Z.

              cheers Garth
            • kaiserwillieii0815
              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2014
                PCC would be nice, but I would like to see a full size gas electric Doodlebug.They were used by a lot or RRs right until the end of passenger service. Not everyone has interurban lines, but a doodlebug would go everywhere.
              • trainssd
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2014
                  Yes, the PCC cars are so tiny that they look almost out of scale on a layout that also has normal equipment.

                  (We are having the same situation in G scale PCC cars)

                  Also a doodlebug could be teamed up with a heavyweight passenger car for more variety.

                  Greg
                • Harbormaster
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 14, 2014
                    Greg,

                    The photo attached is the 3/4 length Z scale working brass doodlebug prototype powered by two PowerMAX! We showed it at both the 2011 NMRA and the last three Nn3 shows. The CAD image is for the full length model.

                    We received only limited interest, and have shelved the prototype. Regardless, we think there is a market in Z scale, but we need to finish what's on our plate now.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 23, 2014

                      Hey Jim, just 2 quick questions, I was messing around with the old RS1 shell the other day, and now have it running nice now. I was wondering if you ever came up with side rails for them?

                      The other question was, I know you did have some "Shark" A and B unit shells as well.. Do you still have any left ? I didn't see them anymore on your website (also, were they designed to run on the F units, or the GP chassies, I dont remember) thanks.

                      Leigh.

                    • Harbormaster
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 23, 2014
                        Leigh,

                        Good to hear from you! Thanks for the note. What powered chassis are you using in the RS? We couldn't get the PowerMAX! to turn the tight radii required in Z scale for the RS.

                        We do have side rails, but they were only designed to fit the PowerMAX! and need to be inserted within and across the gear chase. They perform the attachment function of the chassis to the body, as well as keep the chassis from "bobbing" and lateral slide.

                        Regarding the "Sharks"; both the A and B will be introduced in Z in the next B-B releases (2015-16), but after the NW2, the Interurban, and the Cool Breeze chrome set.

                        Jim