Welcome!

  • Ztrack@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2000
      I first would like to welcome all the new Z scalers to the list. It is always
      wonderful to see a hobby grow, and I have been amazed at the number of people
      who are joining the Z scale ranks.

      Mack, I agree with Jeffrey on the layout construction and his thoughts on
      stretching out the 4' x 8'. I use the foam insulation on my layout and love
      it! I build in consecutive layers, then carve, cut and rasps out contours
      such as hills, valleys, roads, etc. It is then easy to add rock casting, road
      bed, track, etc. The big plusses are strength while still be light weight and
      ease of use. My home layout stretches 2' x 15' using this form of
      construction (photos can be found in the gallery section on the Ztrack
      website <A HREF="http://www.ztrack.com">www.ztrack.com</A>)

      I friend of mine here in Columbus has a large Z layout measuring 6' x 8' It
      really gives him a lot of room to build an amazing city/mountain layout. The
      only problem I found with the size is that is sometimes hard to work in the
      middle of the layout, especially if any of the front is sceniced. Z buildings
      and landscape can be fragile due to the size, and often enough, it is too
      easy to damage any complete piece in the front when leaning over to work in
      the middle.

      I hope this helps and welcome to Z scale!

      Rob Kluz
      Ztrack Magazine