Best decoder install Marklin F unit.

  • trainssd
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
      OK, had to break down and get one in daylight colors to run my streamliner.
      Looking inside, wondering people's recommendations on DCC decoder and where to place it.
      I guess I could get a very tiny one and put it on the end where there is space for a headlight that is unused on an A unit.
      I could get rid of or modify the circuit board on top, but I'm not sure that gives me much space, I need to measure how much room there really is between the shell and the chassis top.
      So, looking for suggestions on:
      • decoder brand and model
      • where to place
      • any other tips or gotchas

      My local reference is heading out of town for a while so cannot do my normal thing of draining his brain on the subject.

      Thanks, Greg Elmassian

    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
        What ?!? Swiss trucks on and F7? You are not going to survive when Don gets back.

        My first one (the one you see when you search 'z scale DCC' on YouTube) just had a NCE Z14 on top of the PC Board. You could use a CT Electronik right where the motor gap is or is you were suggesting in the front light.

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z

        Sent 'from the road'

        On Apr 21, 2014, at 11:18 PM, <greg@...> wrote:

        OK, had to break down and get one in daylight colors to run my streamliner.
        Looking inside, wondering people's recommendations on DCC decoder and where to place it.
        I guess I could get a very tiny one and put it on the end where there is space for a headlight that is unused on an A unit.
        I could get rid of or modify the circuit board on top, but I'm not sure that gives me much space, I need to measure how much room there really is between the shell and the chassis top.
        So, looking for suggestions on:

        • decoder brand and model
        • where to place
        • any other tips or gotchas

        My local reference is heading out of town for a while so cannot do my normal thing of draining his brain on the subject.

        Thanks, Greg Elmassian

      • Thomas HABRIK
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
          Swiss trucks?

          Thomas
          from Switzerland

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
            Märklin's F7 series did not have US style trucks on them. They where from their existing European models.

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            Sent 'from the road'

            On Apr 22, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Thomas HABRIK <thomas@...> wrote:

            Swiss trucks?

            Thomas
            from Switzerland

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
              Jeeze guys, please trim your posts (kill the original stuff) if you do a one liner reply... if you are posting from the web interface, hit the "> show message history" to see the automatic copy of the original and you can delete it.

              I had to experiment to find this!

              But back to the point, anyone else have recommendations on decoders and placement? Anyone modify the Marklin circuit board?

              Thanks, Greg

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                How do you kill off previous messages using Firefox or Chrome?  The previous message lines don't even show.

                ...don

              • David Mummery
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                  You did it Don!

                  Dave Mummery

                • Henri Seynaeve
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                    Yes, I did several of then for electric loco with CT76 decoders
                    Let me know the loco number and picture you want to do

                    Henri

                    Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                        Henri, it is the Marklin 8809 EMD F7 in SP Daylight colors...