Need For ALCO RS-3

  • Spencer Eachus
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
      My favorite road switcher was the Alco RS-3. While not as prevalent as the geeps, there were almost 1500 of them produced in the early '50s.

      Does any one know if any of the Z scale loco manufacturers like MT or AZL have any plans to make on?

      Spence
    • trainssd
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
        searails has been threatening to make one:

        It's on their site, but also says available 2012 ;-)
      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
          Searails made some RP shells and even had some stainless steel railings and trim pieces made.  I have two in N@W livery.
          Ed Scullin
          Roanoke VA
          On Monday, April 21, 2014 1:23 PM, "greg@..." <greg@...> wrote:

          searails has been threatening to make one:

          It's on their site, but also says available 2012 ;-)

        • David Mummery
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
            My favorite locos RS/RSCs!

            Dave Mummery

            greg@... wrote:

            searails has been threatening to make one:

            It's on their site, but also says available 2012 ;-)

          • Harbormaster
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
              Greg,
              Thanks for pointing out this "year available" error.
              Will change today!
              We have had interior clearance problems with this and other narrow hood engines, but think, repeat think - that the NW-2 may be an acceptable hood width, and are presently working on it.
              More importantly, we will announce availability for delivery of any of our future models ONLY when we have a production run quantity in stock. Hopefully, this will eliminate the pre-order/late delivery scenario we are suffering.
              Jim

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
                Great Jim!
                Thanks for replying.
                the clearance issues were based on the width of a motor in an already-available chassis?
                I would love a few RS units.
                Greg
              • Harbormaster
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
                  Greg,
                  Didn't make it clear that the RS shell's interior clearance of our prototypical dimensioned body isn't the problem.

                  Its the clearance for a minimum turning radius - we don't want the wheels or motor chassis to impact our RS body shell and short out the PowerMAX!

                  We've successfully cast prototypically correct bodies for the ALCO RS, EMD SW-1500 and SW-1200, but with two motors powering the B-B configuration we need a very wide operating track radius (Rokuhan 195mm) to provide "short" free rotation.

                  So, Tom and Scott and I are concentrating our development assets for the NW-2. You can plainly see the width differences among the three body profiles. One of us will keep you informed.
                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
                    Thanks for the detailed reply, it really helps when someone explains the challenges.
                    Yes, I guess the number of people that have 195 or greater curves really limits the market.
                    I'll buy the NW2 also!

                    Greg
                  • Edward Scullin