Conductivity across turnouts

  • Spencer Eachus
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014
      Hi Gang

      I'm still struggling with electrical conductivity across MT turnouts. I do not run DCC.

      Has anyone tried electrically MUing MT F-7 deisels to improve conductivity?

      Are there other solutions to better performance at turnouts?

      Spence
    • trainssd
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014
        Are you sure your pickups on your locos are good already? I'd invest in wheel wipers to get good pickup, MT F-7s are notorious for poor pickup.

        Greg
      • Spencer Eachus
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014

          My problems seem to only happen over turnouts. But I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

          Spence
          Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. April 2014 um 15:25 Uhr
          Von: greg@...
          An: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          Betreff: [Z_Scale] Re: Conductivity across turnouts

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014
            That makes complete sense, you have enough conductivity on "ordinary" rails that operation is ok (although your pickup on all wheels might be flakey, you don't "see" it).
            But, when you go over a turnout, where there is a plastic frog, and some "mechanical" jostling of the wheels, now your "weak power pickup" is no longer masked, these factors now show up at poor running.

            Theoretically, on clean rail, you only need 2 wheel pickup, but clearly that would not work through a turnout.

            I hope that explanation helps.

            Greg
          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014
              On 16 Apr 2014 13:39:14 -0700
              <greg@...> wrote:

              > That makes complete sense, you have enough conductivity on "ordinary" rails that operation is ok (although your pickup on all wheels might be flakey, you don't "see" it).
              > But, when you go over a turnout, where there is a plastic frog, and some "mechanical" jostling of the wheels, now your "weak power pickup" is no longer masked, these factors now show up at poor running.

              Agreed - which is one of the reasons it's really worth using live-frog
              pointwork. Unfortunately since the Wright turnouts vanished from the
              market its mostly now "make your own" in Z.

              Alan
            • trainssd
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 16, 2014
                With the wipers, the F7s will be fine on MT switches.
                But yes, where I can, like my modules, I use hand made turnouts. There is an excellent local source for me, although I often have to clean his pool, trim his bougainvillea plant, and help him carry stuff to the recycling center.
                In exchange, nice live frog #8 and #10 turnouts smooth as a baby's b***...

                Greg
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17, 2014
                  Reading your problems I'm realizing that MTL still didn't address its turnouts' issues... I've been disappointed the same as you after trying MTL turnouts a few years ago. Stalls at low speed, that I cannot accept. Once I had in mind the idea of soldering a feeder on the point's vertical hinge to convert them into "true" power routing turnouts but I don't want to waste my time doing so on what is in my opinion only an average looking product (I definitly cannot bear their plastic roadbed, and furthermore the side mechanism on powered samples).

                  That's why, until maybe there is one of these days a RTR simple basic power routing turnout available (such as Shinohara or Micro-Engineering release for N and HO), I stick to Fast-Tracks.

                  Dom