Thank you and questions from Z-mazing

  • urrate2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16 9:12 AM
      Thank you for the welcome!

      I have an NCE EB-1 which I will install with the DCC system.

      No break in except running.  That's not a chore!  No oil needed out of the box? What is needed for maintainence?

      Any z in the New Orleans area?

      Modules? Baz Boyz have great modules.  Anyone in the group that could define their standards or have track plans to share?

      It's still new and I appreciate any help and advice!

      I did not expect the directional lighting.  That was a bonus when I finally got up the nerve to turn in the NCE DCC system.  It is great fun and manageable.

      Sam
    • trainssd
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16 10:53 AM
        Wait until you see/hear a sound equipped loco, it's surprising what you can do.
        Also ditch and mars lights on the diesels.
        I'm trying to figure out how to do a remote controlled coupler.
        Greg
      • Lee Barry

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16 11:31 AM
            On 16 Apr 2014 10:53:27 -0700
            <greg@...> wrote:

            > Wait until you see/hear a sound equipped loco, it's surprising what you can do.
            > Also ditch and mars lights on the diesels.
            > I'm trying to figure out how to do a remote controlled coupler.

            Kroiss do them down to N scale,and Nigel Cliffe has also scratchbuilt
            DCC controlled couplers for tiny 2mm scale locos. You still need to be
            able to uncouple wagons by other means however.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viZ_QZjWNgQ

            Sound in Z is going to be hard.. it's tight in N even using the latest
            generation of speaker technology from the mobile phone world and as
            speakers shrink the bass goes down the toilet.

            Might be a better use for 4 position under the board speakers for a lot
            of Z sized layouts.

            Alan
          • trainssd
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16 11:54 AM
              We've already done sound in a number of locos down here in San Diego... it's not real tough, you either put it in a dummy unit (like a B unit in an AB lashup), or the tender of a big loco (David Lancaster has it in his challenger), or put the electronics in a trailing car and only the speaker in a steam tender.
              http://vimeo.com/54193170
              http://vimeo.com/53197040
              http://vimeo.com/12281594
              By the way David did the Challenger sound install 3 years ago... so sound is almost "old hat" by now!

              Greg