Uncoupling cars

  • tpalex
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2014
      Hello all,

      which tool do you think works best in general for uncoupling cars of the
      main Z scale producers (beside magnets in the raodbed where possible)?

      In particular with AZL couplers, i find them quite difficult to uncouple
      with a wood or metal stick.

      TIA,

      Alex
    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2014

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service
      • trainssd
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6, 2014
          Unfortunately, there is nothing on that great site that talks about manual uncoupling (that I could find).
          Lift one car up and re-rail it after pulling them apart a bit.
          Greg
        • garthah

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014
              Garth, do you have a picture somewhere of this tool, be nice to make one.
              Thanks, Greg
            • gary9_1946
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014

                I use a round toothpick.  However it only works on MT couplers.

                With practice, one out of twenty attempts knocks a car off the rails.

                To aid my aging eyes I strapped the toothpick to a keychain flashlight with a rubber band.  A pix of the flashlight can be seen on Amazon.  The link is very long.  Go to Amazon and look for "The Classics Thin LED Flashlight on Keychain, Assorted Colors (TPG-27501) "

              • tpalex
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014

                  I second this request :)

                  Alex

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014
                    I think this is an N scale Rix uncoupler...

                  • Kevin Brady

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014
                        THt is a current rix N scale tool  the first one had a bronze piece replacing the spear head on the bottom of the tool, might work with Z if the spear head was worked on to reduce thickness and width.

                        regards Garth
                      • garthah
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 7, 2014
                          As I do not use it that every day I will have to see if I can locate one in my tool box or create another one to photograph.

                          regards Garth
                        • Lee Barry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 8, 2014
                            thanks for the picture, Lee Barry

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 8, 2014
                              here is a link to a photo of tool in the album tools under photos in this group

                              regards Garth
                            • dave.wolf64
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 8, 2014

                                Try searching for  "RIX 628-14"  which is the part # for the HO scale version of the Uncoupling Tool.

                                I've had one in my tool box since Kadee couplers first hit the market.  Simply put   It Works

                              • BAZ
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 8, 2014
                                  Grab a drinking straw and some .01" styrene. Slit width a bit larger than straw inside to make it curved when inserted. Trim end of strip to a point, like a shovel blade.

                                  Jeff
                                  SF Bay Area Z

                                  Sent 'from the road'