I am new to Z scale

  • shawmutcarshops
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5 7:25 PM
      Hi,
       I am new to Z scale and just getting started. I have a shelf space set aside  that is 7 feet long for a small layout, probably a switching layout as I have several other scale switching layouts. I ordered a Micro Train train set from a dealer friend and it should be here on Monday. Today I bought some track to see how big a circle is of Micro Trains track. I hope there are smaller diameter track sections available as I only have 14 inches to work in for width.

      I am looking forward to being part of the group and learning from the other members.

      Cheers,
      Jeff Damerst
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6 1:24 AM
        If I can help, I'd just suggest not to build a continuous run, "ovale" or "dogbone" type. Furthermore if you want to focus on switching operations. 14" is too narrow, you can only accomodate R=145mm radius if you want continuous running. Most of the modern Z stuff (AZL, MTL) cannot proceed by. Furthermore it's visually unrealistic...
        Dom

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6 5:54 AM
          Welcome Jeff!!!

          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor for American Z Line
          Full Throttle & Rokuhan
          Authorized MTL, InterMountain
          and Tenshodo dealer.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6 6:22 AM
            On 05 Apr 2014 19:25:03 -0700
            <shawmutcarshops@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I am new to Z scale and just getting started. I have a shelf space set aside that is 7 feet long for a small layout, probably a switching layout as I have several other scale switching layouts. I ordered a Micro Train train set from a dealer friend and it should be here on Monday. Today I bought some track to see how big a circle is of Micro Trains track. I hope there are smaller diameter track sections available as I only have 14 inches to work in for width.
            >
            > I am looking forward to being part of the group and learning from the other members.

            The curves go down to 145mm radius, but most US stock isn't designed for
            them although most of the Märklin stock (German outline etc) will handle
            it just fine. 145mm curves look silly either way but can always be hidden.

            If you only have 14 inches then you have a problem unless you can perhaps
            extend the ends out a bit more.

            Alan
          • Andre
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6 8:35 AM
              op 06-04-14 15:22, Alan Cox schreef:
              > On 05 Apr 2014 19:25:03 -0700
              > <shawmutcarshops@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi,
              >> I am new to Z scale and just getting started. I have a shelf space set aside that is 7 feet long for a small layout, probably a switching layout as I have several other scale switching layouts. I ordered a Micro Train train set from a dealer friend and it should be here on Monday. Today I bought some track to see how big a circle is of Micro Trains track. I hope there are smaller diameter track sections available as I only have 14 inches to work in for width.
              >>
              >> I am looking forward to being part of the group and learning from the other members.
              > The curves go down to 145mm radius, but most US stock isn't designed for
              > them although most of the Märklin stock (German outline etc) will handle
              > it just fine. 145mm curves look silly either way but can always be hidden.
              >
              > If you only have 14 inches then you have a problem unless you can perhaps
              > extend the ends out a bit more.
              >
              > Alan

              Maybe a streetcar design could work, rokuhan even goes down to 45 mm
              radius but that looks absurd even for streetcars.
              Problem is that there is not much roling stock for streetcars, the
              marklin railbus comes closest but I doubt it would make it around the 45
              mm curves, it might work on the rokuhan 95 mm curves but there is no
              garantee.

              Andre
            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6 10:52 AM
                > Maybe a streetcar design could work, rokuhan even goes down to 45 mm
                > radius but that looks absurd even for streetcars.
                > Problem is that there is not much roling stock for streetcars, the

                Thats what scratchbuilding is for. There are various short German bogie
                chassis that will do 145 at least so could be used.

                > marklin railbus comes closest but I doubt it would make it around the 45
                > mm curves, it might work on the rokuhan 95 mm curves but there is no
                > garantee.

                Another option would be NN3 narrow gauge and N scale. That makes the
                curves sharper but gives you stock that runs on and looks believable on
                sharp curvature.

                Alan
              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6 10:52 AM
                  I don't think 14" will work.  I have a tiny oval consisting of two semicircular loops separated by a single straight track at either end of the semicircular loop.  I use it for checking out DCC.  The distance between the straights is approximately 15 1/4 inches.  I'm pretty sure this is minimum.  OTOH since there are no turnouts I don't have any problems running any of MTL engines nor any AZL Mikados. nor a few other AZL engines.  I have a couple of other Marklin steam engines and they also seem to work properly.

                  ...don

                • trainssd
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6 12:48 PM
                  • garthah
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 6 1:34 PM
                      Rokuhan  offers several radii of curved track that would fit into 14 inch width. Z track measurements are all in Metric because it was designed in Germany so you will find you need to learn a bit of metric.  If you are going to use roadbed track Rokuhan offers two radii that will work in your 14 inch width and eve allow you to run a double track main line. the two radii are R 145 and R 170 mm.  IF you go with fles track  then you are not limited to what is available in roadbed sectional.  everything will run on R 170 mm radius curves, but some equipment is not happy on R 145mm radius curves. However if you stay with Geeps or F units which have couplers mounted on the engine trucks than most everything will work on either radius, Cars need to be 50ft or less in length to look good and operate well on either radius. Rokuhan has a very large selection of roadbed track and it is easy to set up and install and like Kato Unitrack in N scale is almost bullet proof.

                      regards Garth
                    • trainssd
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8 7:30 AM
                        That video I posted is 45 mm radii, about 4.5 inches in diameter... you CAN find ways to go smaller than the typical curves, but you will be limited as to the locos you have, BUT it is possible.. This loop shows an 0-6-0 with the center wheels removed. Pretty extreme, and as Garth has stated, it limits your choices.
                        Greg
                      • Andre
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8 7:51 AM
                          Another option might be to do away with radius all together and build a
                          zigzag railway usualy for climbing mountainsides or build only a
                          shunting layout.

                          Andre
                        • shawmutcarshops
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 9 2:18 PM
                            I want to thank the group and Dom for help in thinking what I should build. I have decided to just use my GP9 on a switching layout as that way I don't have to worry about the large curves. I prefer switching layouts as my tow On30 layouts are switching layouts as is my extensive steel mill in 1:29 in my basement.

                            Cheers,
                            Jeff