Coffee table layout track plan

  • stlmacgeek
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27, 2014
      Hello Z Scalers,
      I have a coffee table that I would like to build a Z scale layout in. This table was made for something like this. It has a glass top and a large drawer directly under it to display things in. The drawer measures 36" by 18.5".

      I am looking for a trackplan that will allow continuous running, be one level, no need for turnouts since I cannot get to cars on them easily. I would like to use Rokuhan track. And I am looking for something more than a simple oval. I did see layout plan B on the Rokuhan website. And think that it would be a bit more interesting than a simple oval. Although it is a bit smaller than my allotted space.
      Any ideas? Any existing trackplans that might fit in my allotted space?

      My experience in model railroading has been mostly in N. I have moved to a area of the country without basements so I hope to build a Z shelf layout as well in the future. I currently own a Z scale MT simple loop and an MT engine with 2 MT cars. In fact is is in the coffee table running right now. But I want to use Rokuhan track because there are so many more track pieces available.

      Thanks in advance for any help.
      take care,
      Kevin Avery
      Charleston, SC
    • mdlmkr
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014
        Hi Kevin,

        More than an oval, continuous running, on 1 level means crossings to me.  Here are a couple of Rokuhan plans to consider.

        Chaz

      • Kevin Brady
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014
          Hi Kevin,all,
                           A few thoughts:are you able to build a sliding drawer into the coffee table?This might increase your track plan and include turnouts as you can have easier access to the layout.
          Also,IMHO don't try and cram too much track in the space,some nice scenery that your trains can pass through is always pleasant. :-)

          Best,Kev

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service
        • Cliff Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014
            Kevin, Looks as though your on the right track, you have the table 1st, building track 2nd.  I prefer laying my own track and making a plan that will fit the space available.

            Send us some pictures of what you have so far.

            Cliff
            SSgt USMC, Retired
            '11 Ford Flex SEL AWD/EcoBoost
            '86 Yamaha FZX-R
            Z scale trains

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014
                Thanks Chaz,

                Those look good. After I posted my first message I took the Plan B from the Rokuhan site and modified it to use larger curves and fit in my space. It looks very similar to your twice around.

                I do like the 3 times around, but think it might be too busy for that small space.

                thanks,
                Kevin Avery

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014
                  Hey Cliff,

                  Thanks, I posted some pictures of what I have so far on the yahoogroup site under photos in the Kevin Avery's Z Scale Adventure album.

                  take care,
                  Kevin Avery

                  On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Cliff Smith <cliffiniraq3@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 29, 2014

                    On Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:39 am (PDT) .

                    stlmacgeek

                      wrote:

                    >Hello Z Scalers, I have a coffee table that I would like to build a Z scale layout in. This table was made for >something like this. It has a glass top and a large drawer directly under it to display things in. The drawer >measures 36" by 18.5".

                    >I am looking for a trackplan that will allow continuous running, be one level, no need for turnouts since I cannot >get to cars on them easily. I would like to use Rokuhan track. And I am looking for something more than a >simple oval. I did see layout plan
                    B on the Rokuhan website. And think that it would be a bit more interesting >than a simple oval. Although it is a bit smaller than my allotted space.
                    >Any ideas? Any existing trackplans that might fit in my allotted space?

                      Sounds like an interesting project.  The Rokuhan layouts could be enlarged by judicious addition of small straight sections to fill your space.  I'd consider adding a siding in the front of the drawer to add some flexibility and on-track storage space.  Good luck, and let us see some photos.

                    CheerZ,
                      -- Malcolm Z
                    MCZ Models
                  • Donn Kuse
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 30, 2014
                      That's some coffee table, Kevin. I'll be interested in see what you can do
                      with it. I don't even have room to even put up a shelf layout in our
                      present home. Maybe I can find a large brief case and can do something
                      with that.

                      Donn

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/waysidejourney

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 30, 2014
                        After looking at the 18x36 two times around layout on the Z Scale Group site, I began to wonder how accurate it is. I copied the layout to an AutoCAD drawing (very accurate--I'm told AutoCAD internal calculations are carried out to 16 places), and there are 2 mismatches. The errors are very small (the largest is 1.66mm), but they are there. See attached (I don't know if the Yahoo Group distribution allows attachments, so I also addressed this email to a few individuals--if you can't see the attachments, and want to, let me know). I will upload this pdf file to my folder on Z Scale Group/files/MartySoll

                        Marty in Estacada OR

                        >Hi Kevin,
                        >

                        >More than an oval, continuous running, on 1 level means crossings to me.  Here are a couple of Rokuhan plans to consider.
                        >

                        >Chaz

                      • gardenrails
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 30, 2014
                          Kevin,

                          There is a pretty nice layout in the latest MR that is done in HO on a 4' x 8' but in "Z" Scale it would be a nice layout, minus the turnouts, to build, scenic and run a train in a glass topped coffee table. I am building a 30" x 66" two level layout using the Rokuhan track, switches and controls and so far I have been very impressed.
                          I have dual power packs and about a dozen switches.

                          Mack
                          Greensboro, NC
                        • BAZ
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 30, 2014
                            Oooooo . . 1.6 mm (~1/16"). No one even comes close to that tolerance, just trying to transfer the plan to the surface or even worse, laying it to it.  ;)

                            Jeff
                            SF Bay Area Z

                            Sent 'from the road'