Rokuhan and AZL

  • Pierre Vautravers
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
      I bought Rokuhan track to build a figure eight break in track using two 110mm to connect the curves to the crossing track. I have used it to break in a Marklin 88036 NYC steam locomotive, a Marklin 88591 Re 4/4 II SBB and a Marklin 88592 Re 4/4 II SBB Cargo and I had no problems. I ran all three for 30 minutes and I even added a few cars for a little fun. No problems.
      Now when it comes to my AZL PRR USR Light Mikado I could not get this beautiful locomotive to take the curves. It ran fine on the straights but immediately derailed once in the curve. Have I caused the problem by using two110s without a 55mm? I hope that the fix is as easy as that. Thanks, Pierre
    • garthah
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
        The straights are not a problem it is the curves you have used for the figure 8. what radius are the curves? are they smaller than R 195 mm?

        regards Garth
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
          For your information, AZL recommands 220 mm as a minimum radius for these jewels. I managed to successfully test mine on a 195 mm curve radius, at the expense of a fair speed loss while on the curve.

          And I guess operations on curves tighter than 195 mm are marginal. Forget R=145 mm, not to speak of tighter curves...

          Dom

          De : Pierre Vautravers <pierrefv2005@...>
          À : z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          Envoyé le : Vendredi 21 mars 2014 16h04
          Objet : [Z_Scale] Rokuhan and AZL

          I bought Rokuhan track to build a figure eight break in track using two 110mm to connect the curves to the crossing track. I have used it to break in a Marklin 88036 NYC steam locomotive, a Marklin 88591 Re 4/4 II SBB and a Marklin 88592 Re 4/4 II SBB Cargo and I had no problems. I ran all three for 30 minutes and I even added a few cars for a little fun. No problems.
          Now when it comes to my AZL PRR USR Light Mikado I could not get this beautiful locomotive to take the curves. It ran fine on the straights but immediately derailed once in the curve. Have I caused the problem by using two110s without a 55mm? I hope that the fix is as easy as that. Thanks, Pierre

        • BAZ
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
            As you pull the two 110mm segments together at the X, the curve segments become kinked at the connecting segments.

            What kind of running issue do you have? Just slowdown but sort of uniform speed? Once per driver revolution speed change? Or when the loco runs thru the track curve kinked joints?

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            Sent 'from the road'

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2014
              Here is a list of the straight sections needed for a certain radius of curves for the figure 8 and it comes from Rokuhan, there is a diagram that came with my 90 degree crossing which shows this in detail., and these work in Anyrail design software also.

              regards Garth

              R270 - 220mm and 55 mm
              R245 - 220mm and 25mm
              R220 - 220mm
              R195 - 110mm and 55mm and 25mm
              R170 - 110mm and 55mm
              R145 - 110mm and 25mm
              R120 - 110mm
              R95  - 55mm and 25mm
              R70 - 55mm
            • trainssd
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2014
                Be careful quoting Anyrail as proof that a track plan works. Their definitions of the "sharp" turnouts I used recently is way off, so there is at least one error. I'm sure most of it works, but not all of it.

                Using the chart from Rokuhan, if you used two 110mm tracks off each leg of the 90 degree crossing, then it's wrong for all but 220 mm curves. I just built a figure 8 with 270mm curves and it's quite a nice test track, bigger than I imagined, but very useful for breaking in.

                Greg