Introduction

  • Frans van Cuilenborg
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 2, 2000
      A Happy new Year to all of you,

      My name is Frans van Cuilenborg and I have been following this list almost
      from the start. Never taken the time to introduce my self, but now as a new
      years wish to my self I will introduce my self. I am 60 years of age but got
      my first Marklin set back in the 50 ties when I was a kid living in Holland.
      I moved to Norway in 1963 and the trains were kept in their boxes for ages,
      no place no time.
      For about 6 years ago I found out it was time to start using them again. So
      for the time being I am building a HO layout (wrong list) which I hope to
      finish soon. I have always been attrackted to Z scale because I like to
      model long stredges where you can really run long trains. I do not have so
      much space so for a long time ago I bought a starter set and have been
      collecting and dreaming ever since.
      I am not good in planning layouts but I saw in the latest Marklin Magazine a
      nice layout which I have the space to build. As soon as I am finished with
      the HO layout I get it out ofvthe house and place it in a Motor Museum,
      where my club have their facilities. Here we have a large HO layout
      representing a true scale stredge in the neighbourhood of Oslo. So whenever
      I feel for HO scale I can always fall back there.
      I hope that before I start on this z-scale layout that the decodrs for
      running digital are getting small enough to built them into z-scale
      locomotives.

      Best regards
    • jens.wimmel@bluewin.ch
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 29, 2000
        Hello Z-heads

        I want to introduce myself, because I am new in this list today.

        My name is Jens Wimmel, I am a German (big)boy living in Switzerland
        since 10 years.
        1995 I remembered for modellrailroading after 15 years with other
        hobbies.
        Because I have not the space for a H0-layout, I started with Z in
        1998.
        After some months with my starterset runnig onto the kitchentable I
        want to build a compact layout.
        With a friend who has changed to Z, too I want to explore what is
        possible with this little scale.
        Well, now we find out so much information and it never stops...
        After going into the www it was possible to contact many other Z-
        friends and producers, and this is really a great thing!
        Here in Switzerland the few Z-friends mostly don't know each other,
        but I hope, I can change it.

        Since may my Z-homepage is in the net
        http://members.tripod.de/Zettsiite/zettsiite.index.html(only in
        german)

        The best regards to all
        Jens
      • peter.anderson1@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 6, 2000
          Hi everybody.
          My name is Pete..and I am a Z-Head
          Got my first set at the age of 43
          I am now 44, I have been addicted ever since.
          My daily fix is the DRG period
          If ther are any other addicts in Scotland feel free to get in touch
        • Ron D.
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
            Hi Folks,

            Just wanted to introduce myself. I dabbled in N scale for a while
            about 15 yrs ago. I don't have enough knowledge to be a purist but
            what the heck, I was having fun! Anyway I was always facinated by
            miniatures and was intrigued by Z scale although I couldn't afford it
            at the time. I very recently purchased a Marklin Z scale starter set
            so my son & I could get involved in a hobby together. I would
            appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
            just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.

            Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.

            Ron D.
          • A H-Ellary
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
              hi Ron

              welcome aboard where in the world are you im in the uk in Northampton in
              fact... and im always pleased to share ideas and talk/play trains

              A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

              now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. To answer your
                question, I'm from the U.S. - Central New Jersey to be more specific,
                which means that I've been out the last 3 hours shoveling snow!

                Well, I'm off to check out the links and files sections and I'm sure
                there will be many questions afterward.

                Take Care,

                Ron D.

              • Jeffrey MacHan
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                  Hi Ron,

                  Welcome to the wonderful world of Z. This group is a rich source of
                  information on any subject related to our common passion. Ask anything you
                  like and you're sure to get sage advice.

                  This list also offers many resources in the 'Links', 'Files' and 'Messages'
                  sections. Check them out. You can use the search function on the message
                  archives to ferret out previous discussions on a multitude of subjects.

                  In the 'Links' section you'll find web site references where a mountain of
                  info and other links are available. In the 'Files' section you'll find
                  pictures, member intros, informational texts and lots more.

                  Enjoy the site and the list. Our members are open and generous with advice,
                  time and opinions! So enjoy!

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey MacHan
                  Moderator

                  >From: "Ron D." <starfire010@...>
                  >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                  >Subject: [z_scale] Introduction
                  >Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:11:51 -0000
                  >
                  >Hi Folks,
                  >
                  >Just wanted to introduce myself. I dabbled in N scale for a while
                  >about 15 yrs ago. I don't have enough knowledge to be a purist but
                  >what the heck, I was having fun! Anyway I was always facinated by
                  >miniatures and was intrigued by Z scale although I couldn't afford it
                  >at the time. I very recently purchased a Marklin Z scale starter set
                  >so my son & I could get involved in a hobby together. I would
                  >appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
                  >just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.
                  >
                  >Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.
                  >
                  >Ron D.

                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                    Hello Ron,
                    Like you I have been a N scaler for a number of years and now
                    I also collect and build Z scale. Z scale is charming and has great
                    potential for spectacular layouts that won't take over your entire
                    house. Z is more expensive because the making of these tiny
                    items runs a close kinship with jewelry making. You barely touch
                    a box car and it jumps off the track! Patience is the by-word for
                    all Z scale modeling.

                    I would urge you to eventually obtain a subscription to Z track
                    magazine.
                    I think it's http://www.ztrack.com Over the course of a year you'll
                    learn about everybody whose ever been seriously involved with US
                    Z. All of us are sharing experiences, manufacturing accessories, putting

                    together shows. It's a lot of fun. Basic information is something
                    I'm always looking for too. Eventually there will be websites that have
                    a lot of information. Right now most websites are either commercial
                    or addressed to specific problems with turnouts, motors, lighting etc.

                    Marklin makes a track planning kit that is very helpful for a first
                    layout design. Try to stay with the simpler turnouts. We Zeds
                    have been having a lot of discussions about turnouts over the past year
                    and until there is some competition from another manufacturer,
                    I don't think these issues will be satisfactorily resolved.

                    Best regards and good luck!
                    Reynard

                    "Ron D." wrote:

                    > Hi Folks,
                    >
                    > ... I would
                    > appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
                    > just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.
                    >
                    > Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.
                    >
                    > Ron D.
                  • goldanegev
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                      Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring, Maryland. I
                      work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                      bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by Marklin and
                      an oval of track. I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,
                      and I hope to get my husband interested.

                      First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                      from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?
                      2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                      transformer I can use?
                      3. How does the transformer connect to the track?
                      4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do you
                      need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a foamboard
                      platform on a tabletop?

                      Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                      Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a model
                      of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for the
                      Orioles stadium.

                      Any comments will be appreciated.
                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                        Hello Naomi,

                        Yes, people build little brief case layouts that run on a 9V battery,
                        expensive but feasible.

                        There are starting to be more structures for Z scale available and if we get
                        some decent support from the Z scale leadership there will be more. Some of
                        us like to think of Z scale as the "champagne" of model railroading, but if
                        you want real champagne you have to pay a little more otherwise you'd be
                        buying just cheap sparkling wine (which tastes funny to me).

                        I use blue insulation Styrofoam that is 1" thick. You have to glue it to
                        1/8" to 1/4" thick plywood with Elmer's glue. Don't use contact cement
                        unless you like to see stuff melt. This make for a very light, portable
                        layout.

                        The Z scale transformers produce 8VDC tops. Don't use anything else unless
                        you like the smell of burning motor windings.

                        Welcome aboard and good luck.

                        Reynard Wellman
                        http://www.micronart.com

                        >Naomi wrote:
                        >Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring, Maryland. I
                        work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                        bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by Marklin and
                        an oval of track. I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,
                        and I hope to get my husband interested.

                        First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                        from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?
                        2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                        transformer I can use?
                        3. How does the transformer connect to the track?
                        4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do you
                        need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a foamboard
                        platform on a tabletop?

                        Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                        Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a model
                        of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for the
                        Orioles stadium.

                        Any comments will be appreciated.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210353.1778862.3296836.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17065338
                        16:HM/A=900179/R=0/*http://www.capcom.com/Yahoo/yahoo.xpml>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • jmac_han
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                          Welcome to Z_Scale, Naomi. This is THE place to get answers
                          to any and all of your questions. I can tell from your questions
                          that you want to get up and running in short order. Let's see if I
                          can give you a little help. Many other members will certainly
                          chime in. ;-)

                          --- In z_scale@y..., "goldanegev" <ngoring@r...> wrote:
                          > Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring,
                          Maryland. I
                          > work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                          > bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by
                          Marklin and
                          > an oval of track.

                          Beautiful train set and a very nice Christmas gift.

                          >I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,

                          Then you won't have much trouble building a miniature world that
                          will give you much enjoyment. Very few tools are needed to get
                          going: screw driver to attach wires to the throttle, paring knife to
                          cut and carve styrofoam, a hobby knife and straight edge to cut
                          foam board as a base, hobby paint brushes and acrylic paints
                          and eventually a 25 watt soldering iron and rosin core solder
                          from Radio Shack (if necessary)...

                          As you get more involved you'll discover other projects that may
                          require hobby tools such as small files, sand paper, glues of
                          different sorts etc. Model railroading is a hobby that can grow
                          with your interests and allow you to develop many new skills.

                          > and I hope to get my husband interested.

                          Good idea. You will need all the sources of Z gifts that you can
                          get! ;-)

                          There are many sources of information for model railroaders of
                          all skill levels and experience. Z scale is similar to most other
                          scales that run on low voltage Direct Current such as HO and N
                          scale. The most demanding part of Z scale railroading is having
                          good trackwork, no kinks, no poor joints and keeping the track as
                          clean as possible. A great source for track cleaning tips is
                          http://www.zscale.org (see track cleaning).

                          Now let's tackle your questions.

                          > First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                          > from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?

                          It is very possible using a 9v battery clip from Radio Shack that
                          you can attach directly to the track. This will run the train at top
                          speed untill the battery dies. Rechargeable batteries are best for
                          this kind of power arrangement. As your next question implies a
                          much better solution is to use a commercial transistor throttle
                          specifically made for electric trains.

                          > 2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                          > transformer I can use?

                          Today's transformers are not all that simple (on the inside that
                          is). Z scale does not require much voltage to run at top speed,
                          between 6-8 volts. As a result the majority of hobby transformers
                          provide far too much power for Z trains. It is not really necessary
                          to buy a special transformer for Z scale although some of my
                          colleagues may disagree with me on this point. I have enjoyed
                          many years of service from a very good and inexpensive
                          transistorized throttle made by Model Rectifier Corporation or
                          MRC. I use the MRC 1300 and MRC1400 models. They provide
                          a maximum of 12 volts but I have no trouble since I do not crank
                          the throttle up to max. Turning the speed knob about half way is
                          usually the most my trains need.

                          The MRC 1300 and 1400 throttles have a knob with a handle. It
                          is possible to run your train to find the maximum speed position
                          on the control knob, mark the spot on the face of the throttle with
                          a felt marker, then drill a small pilot hole and then screw a long
                          screw into place to block the handle from going past the max
                          setting. I'm sure you know what I mean. If not give me a shout.

                          > 3. How does the transformer connect to the track?

                          If you bought an oval of track with a connector section then all you
                          have to do to get the train running is to connect a wire (speaker
                          wire works fine) from each clamp on the connector section to the
                          connectors on the back of the MRC1300 or 1400 throttle that are
                          identified by "DC to track". 2 wires are all it takes. Make sure
                          the throttle is turned off before you put the loco on the track. Turn
                          the speed control to "zero" before turning on the throttle. Turn the
                          speed control slowly to get the train running. Also make sure
                          that you stop the train by turning the speed control to "zero"
                          before you change direction with the slide switch on the throttle.

                          > 4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do
                          you
                          > need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a
                          foamboard
                          > platform on a tabletop?

                          I have used styrofoam and foamboard with great success. I
                          suggest that if you want to move your layout board from time to
                          time that you build your layout on styrofoam. 1 inch styrofoam
                          comes in 2 foot wide by 8 foot lengths at your local home
                          renovation or building center. It is light, rigid and you can use
                          straight pins to hold your track in place.

                          I only bought 1 - 8 foot sheet which I cut and stacked up to make
                          mountains and rivers. You can put a base and then a second
                          and third layers on top to carve out mountains. My secret to
                          gluing styrofoam and foamboard is Rubber Cement from
                          Walmart, Kmart, or your local full service drug store etc.. This is
                          great for almost anything you may have to glue in your Z world.
                          Do not confuse Rubber Cement (comes in a brown bottle with a
                          brush in the cap, kids love it at school) with Contact Cement
                          (comes in a tube or can and disolves styrofoam and has noxious
                          vapors).

                          > Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                          > Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a
                          model
                          > of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for
                          the
                          > Orioles stadium.

                          I don't know of any source for row houses although Märklin
                          makes a series of commercial buildings in resin and Miller
                          Engineering makes some magnificent Victorian houses in brass
                          kits which you might find useful. Some plastic kits of row
                          houses are available that have a slight European flavor but can
                          certainly be useful. I'll forward your request for "row houses" on
                          to someone I know. ;-)

                          Microfigs makes North American style factory and warehouse
                          structures in resin. All they need is some paint and a home on
                          your layout. See http://www.microfigs.com and look under
                          "store" for pictures and ordering info.

                          > Any comments will be appreciated.

                          You can be sure to get lots of comments from this list. Just ask
                          away.

                          Happy Holidays, Naomi and enjoy your trainZ,

                          Jeffrey MacHan
                          Chief Imagineer
                          Val Ease Central Rr
                          http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
                        • goldanegev
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 24, 2001
                            --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@h...> wrote:
                            > I don't know of any source for row houses although Märklin
                            > makes a series of commercial buildings in resin and Miller
                            > Engineering makes some magnificent Victorian houses in brass
                            > kits which you might find useful. Some plastic kits of row
                            > houses are available that have a slight European flavor but can
                            > certainly be useful. I'll forward your request for "row houses" on
                            > to someone I know. ;-)

                            I have the 2002 Walters catalog showing Micro Structures with a brick
                            town house that is very typical of Baltimore style. It's number 502-
                            228010. There are several other suitable buildings: a bar, a deli, a
                            hotel. And Marklin has a brick, steam-era engine shed and a 3-stall
                            roundhouse that would be suitable.

                            BTW, I took the advice and ordered a Marklin transformer on EBay.
                            Batteries don't seem to be the way to go.

                            Naomi
                          • Ell Geib
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 21, 2002
                              Hi,
                              My name is Ellsworth Geib (I usually go by Ell). I live about 60
                              miles south of Washington, DC in southern Maryland, USA. I have been
                              lurking (mostly) on this group for a number of weeks now. I have had
                              one of the introductory Marklin sets (the 0-6-0 set) for about 12
                              years. I also purchased a small layout (about 2 ft by 4 ft) with a
                              Marklin F-7 Chesapeake and Ohio set from a friend about 10 or 11
                              years ago. I have been displaying the Z-scale layout each year at my
                              Rockville Lions Train Show on the second weekend in November and at
                              the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show on the first weekend in
                              December for 10 years now.
                              I have been modeling off and on for about 50 years. I traded my
                              Lionel engine and cars for an HO engine kit when I was 14. I began
                              modeling in N-scale when it first came out in the sixties. I prefer
                              the building to the running of trains and have had little in the way
                              of layouts. This became more difficult when I lost the central vision
                              in my right eye 10 or 11 years ago. Working on Z-scale is difficult
                              enough with 2 good eyes. You should try it with no depth perception.
                              Because of this, I am cautious about starting any sort of conversion
                              on existing equipment, especially considering the cost of these
                              gemlike toys.
                              As a member of the Rockville Lions Club in Rockville, Maryland
                              (about 10 miles northwest of Washington DC) I started a train show as
                              a one-day fund raising affair in 1991. We expanded it to 2 days in
                              1992. It is NOT a vendor show. It is strictly a display show and
                              attempts to have something for most everyone. We have 5 rooms (3
                              rather large) and have displays of G-scale, Lionel, HO-scale,
                              N-scale, and Z-scale. The Lionel, HO, and N layouts are modular type.
                              The Lionel and N-scale layouts are about 16 ft by 32 ft while the HO
                              layout is usually about 32 ft by 48 ft. We now have 2 Z-scale
                              layouts, mine and a rather unique one by a member of another Lions
                              Club, Susan Shrader. I am planning on writing something about Susan's
                              layout for Z-Track magazine. I am still the primary coordinator for
                              the show, even though I retired, moved to southern Maryland 4 years
                              ago, and joined a different Lions Club.
                              The same basic groups of people exhibit at the Fairfax Station
                              Museum Train Show. Because of size restrictions, the layouts are not
                              as large. However, the Garden group have been setting up an outside
                              railroad that goes completely around the station and there is also a
                              Lionel standard gauge layout inside.
                              Both shows are a lot of fun and attract people from all around the
                              Washington, DC area. One thing that has been interesting over the
                              years. I usually get my Z-scale trains going first and typically just
                              leave them alone. They run all day for both days of the shows. They
                              also draw lots of attention because of their small size.

                              Ell Geib
                            • Randy Smidt
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 21, 2002
                                Hi Ell,

                                I'm guessing that you are in the St.Mary's area. If so, you might try
                                Trains, Etc. in Lorton, VA. He is a Marklin dealer and is Z-friendly.
                                When my wife and I were looking at moving to the St Mary's area a few
                                months ago (that job didn't materialize) we timed it from St. Mary's
                                back across the Potomac to Springfield where my mom lives at about 1
                                hour 15 minutes. This might be a little closer than the shops in
                                Baltimore.

                                I missed the Rockville show in 2001, but but maybe I could have some Z
                                modules done before Dec. 2002. I just started in Z in November 2001, so
                                at this point, everything is just on paper.

                                Randy Smidt

                              • jmac_han
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 22, 2002
                                  Congratulations, Ell, on your extraordinary work promoting model
                                  railroading and "Z" in your community. You have provided an
                                  excellent service to us all with your successful work of the last 10
                                  years with the Rockville Lions Train Show and the Fairfax Museum
                                  Train Show.

                                  Your name has been added to the growing list of "Z" Ambassadors who
                                  have made a contribution to Z-scale in 2001-2002. It's a great
                                  pleasure to know that our members can contact a Show Manager who is
                                  more than sympathetic towards "Z".

                                  All the best for 2002.

                                  Keep "Z" trains rolling,

                                  Jeffrey MacHan
                                  Moderator

                                  P.S.: I'd love to add Susan Shrader to the Ambassador List but she
                                  does not seem to be a member of Z_Scale. Why don't you tell her
                                  about us, Ell? ;-)

                                  --- In z_scale@y..., Ell Geib <geib@e...> wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  > My name is Ellsworth Geib (I usually go by Ell). I live about
                                  60
                                  > miles south of Washington, DC in southern Maryland, USA. I have
                                  been displaying the Z-scale layout each year at
                                  my
                                  > Rockville Lions Train Show on the second weekend in November and at
                                  > the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show on the first weekend in
                                  > December for 10 years now.
                                  SNIP
                                  > As a member of the Rockville Lions Club in Rockville, Maryland
                                  > (about 10 miles northwest of Washington DC) I started a train show
                                  as
                                  > a one-day fund raising affair in 1991. We expanded it to 2 days in
                                  > 1992.
                                  > We now have 2 Z-scale
                                  > layouts, mine and a rather unique one by a member of another Lions
                                  > Club, Susan Shrader. I am planning on writing something about
                                  Susan's
                                  > layout for Z-Track magazine. I am still the primary coordinator for
                                  > the show, even though I retired, moved to southern Maryland 4 years
                                  > ago, and joined a different Lions Club.
                                  >
                                  > Ell Geib
                                • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 22, 2002
                                    Boy it sounds like you have a lot of fun! I would
                                    nominate you for Z ambassador, if that is possible.
                                    Keep up the good work and the fun.

                                    Will

                                    =====
                                    WILLIAM BROCK

                                    Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                                    http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                                  • Ell Geib
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 25, 2002
                                      Jeffrey,
                                      Thank you for the designation of "Z" Ambassador. I have a
                                      correction to what you put on the web site. I am not the show
                                      director for the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show. I simply display
                                      my z-scale layout and help the director out if I can. The director of
                                      that show, "Clem" Clement, is a Lionel collector. He volunteers as a
                                      Loco Doctor at my Rockville show and I reciprocate by giving time to
                                      his show. At one point I helped him by doing some Loco Doctoring for
                                      HO and N locomotives. Frankly the best fix for most HO and N scale
                                      locomotives that are brought in is to toss them in the trash. They
                                      are usually low cost items whose repair is more costly than a new
                                      moderately priced engine.

                                      The Loco Doctor idea for shows such as these is popular. Many
                                      people bring in old Lionel toy trains that no longer work. Clem can
                                      often "repair" a Lionel engine by simply doing some basic cleaning.
                                      The person bringing in the engine goes away very happy. There is no
                                      charge for simple repairs. If, in his evaluation of the problem, Clem
                                      finds more serious repairs needed, he gives a rough estimate of cost
                                      and tells people where to get the repairs done. The area around his
                                      work table often has as many people looking on as some of the train
                                      layouts. Plus he brings a bunch of low cost toy trains and spreads
                                      them on the floor for the little ones to play with. The little kids
                                      love it.

                                      I have to tell this story. We had one of the members of the
                                      Rockville Lions Club bring a 1950s era Lionel engine in for Clem to
                                      look at. The engine simply would not run and it was worth maybe $150
                                      to $200. When Clem looked at it he then took it around to all of the
                                      model railroad groups to show them something that was a real no-no.
                                      The engine was one of the early versions that had the Lionel
                                      magna-traction system. For those not familiar with this, the wheels
                                      were magnetized and that gave the engine excellent traction so it
                                      could pull more cars and go up grades. The Lion had cleaned his track
                                      with steel wool. You might get away with that if you then very
                                      thoroughly vacuumed the track. The Lion had not done that and the
                                      small steel particles from the steel wool were all over the wheels
                                      and throughout the mechanism. That repair required using tweezers and
                                      many hours to remove all of the steel particles. Needless to say that
                                      was not a freebie. To make matters worse for the Lion, the Club said
                                      he should donate some money since he took up the time of the Loco
                                      Doctor with a dumb problem of his own making. That was done in good
                                      humor, but he did donate money to the Club. And he was the recipient
                                      of a lot of jokes about what he had done.

                                      Ell

                                    • Ian Buck <ian.comboio@virgin.net>
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 18, 2003
                                        Hi All

                                        As a new member to this group I had btter tell you something about
                                        me. I have been interested in Z gauge since 1983 when my wife bought
                                        me the starter set with the diesel shunter and banana van. Since
                                        then I have ammassed a collection of 38 locomotives, 76 coaches and
                                        50 wagons.

                                        My main interests are German diesels and beer vans. I have three
                                        layouts, the Noch uitcase, a small German branch line and a Belgian
                                        station.

                                        Thats all for now

                                        All the best

                                        Ian Buck
                                      • Jay & Anne Greer
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 19, 2003
                                          Hi Ian,
                                          Welcome to Znuts! I say that because, along with the rest of us , I am most
                                          likely considered to be a Z fanatic by modelers in other scales. I have
                                          been smitten by those magnificent little German Jewels ever since they
                                          first hit the market!
                                          Nice to have you with us!
                                          Jay Greer/Chief Conductor, Trax Inc.

                                          From: "Ian Buck <ian.comboio@...>" <ian.comboio@...>
                                          Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 05:28:57 -0000
                                          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subject: [z_scale] Introduction

                                          Hi All

                                          As a new member to this group I had btter tell you something about
                                          me. I have been interested in Z gauge since 1983 when my wife bought
                                          me the starter set with the diesel shunter and banana van. Since
                                          then I have ammassed a collection of 38 locomotives, 76 coaches and
                                          50 wagons.

                                          My main interests are German diesels and beer vans. I have three
                                          layouts, the Noch uitcase, a small German branch line and a Belgian
                                          station.

                                          Thats all for now

                                          All the best

                                          Ian Buck

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                        • Patrick Tighe
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 1, 2003
                                            Hello everyone,

                                            I'm not exactly new to Z scale or to this list. I've been lurking
                                            on the list now for about two months or so. I got started in Z
                                            scale with a starter set in 1985 and built two layouts since.

                                            I must say that I wish there had been a list like this back in 85.
                                            The information I've found here is invaluable, whether you're just
                                            starting out or are a Zeasoned veteran. I am also very happy to be
                                            a member of a group that has such helpful and interesting people in
                                            it.

                                            I recently moved from Charleston, SC to Knoxville, TN. While I was
                                            unpacking I realized two things. I didn't have much to keep me busy
                                            being new to the area and I had enough track, structures and rolling
                                            stock to build a new layout. And, so I am!!!

                                            I developed a few ideas about what I wanted to do based on previous
                                            layout experience before I got going. After a little thought I
                                            decided on two simple things. First, I wanted to build something
                                            modular, so that I could easily transport it and expand it.
                                            Secondly, I wanted to start with something that would keep my
                                            interest while I developed the rest of the layout.

                                            Next, I set out to do a little research. Soon after I got started
                                            in Z scale, MR brought out an article on a layout depicting the
                                            Pacific Northwest built in three modules. That approach appealed to
                                            me, but I realized that the operational apects of that layout were
                                            not going to fit in with my second goal. Some of the links here
                                            pointed me in the direction of the Z Mod and Z Track standards.
                                            Those helped me decide on a shelf type layout to begin with,
                                            however, they were a bit wider than the space I had available to me.
                                            However, after seeing the Richmond modules, I decided that was
                                            better for the available room I had. Since I couldn't find any
                                            posted dimensions, I developed my own standard dimensions. I don't
                                            see this as a drawback, as I haven't been able to find any other
                                            modular clubs close enough to participate in.

                                            Next, I made some decisions about operations and decided to build
                                            the first module based on the Inglenook Sidings concept. After a
                                            little more research on prototypes, I found an article from the
                                            October 1978 Railway Modeler magazine entitled 'The Art of
                                            Compromise' with an interesting Inglenook that had a runaround track
                                            added for facing point operations. This became my theme.

                                            I'm happy to say that since I've joined the group list, I've done
                                            the research, built the benchwork, layed trackbed and track, wired
                                            it (temporarily), and completed 'zip texturing' some basic scenery.
                                            Which is surprising, considering that when I sit down to work on the
                                            layout, I usually end up running trains.

                                            Without the wealth of ideas and resources that this group has made
                                            available, I'm certain that I'd still be on the dining room table
                                            wrestling with different track layouts.

                                            Thanks to everyone! I look forward to posting pictures (as soon as
                                            I get them developed) and getting some input on where I'm going next.

                                            Patrick
                                          • Alain Pelletier
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 12, 2005
                                              Hi, My name is Alain Pelletier.

                                              I am a Professional electrical Engineer registered in the province of
                                              New Brunswick Canada.

                                              I am interested in trains of all scales but more to the point, I enjoy
                                              scale modeling.

                                              I started an online store for N scale in May of last year and now I am
                                              finding out that Z scale is alive and well.

                                              I would like to offer you free samples of my traffic signs.
                                              http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z

                                              I will also make available some resources already available in N to Z -
                                              Right now I am working on Graffiti to convert to Z as well as other
                                              scales.

                                              http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php

                                              http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/

                                              http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php

                                              Please let me know your thoughts

                                              Alain Pelletier
                                            • Jim Glass
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 3, 2005
                                                Thanks for the samples; will show them at our next train meet.

                                                Jim Glass
                                                Redmond, WA

                                                http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z<http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z>

                                                http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php<http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php>

                                                http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/<http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/>

                                                http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php<http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php>

                                                Please let me know your thoughts

                                                Alain Pelletier

                                              • John Claudino
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 10, 2010
                                                  Hi,

                                                  My name is John Claudino and am new to the list. I received my first model train (American Flyer for Christmas) in 1948 at the age of 10 and have dabbled in them ever science. I now manufacture model railroad products. My hobby turned into a business and now my business has forced my hobby to the back burner. I have a booth at the Worlds Greatest Hobby show in Omaha, NE 1/15-16/11 ( WGHT Web site). If you are going to attend the show please stop by the Aztec Booth and say hello.

                                                  Thank you.

                                                  John Claudino

                                                  AZTEC MANUFACTURING CO.

                                                • John Claudino
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 24, 2010
                                                    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

                                                    John Claudino

                                                    AZTEC MANUFACTURING CO.