Re: A New Z... Wood Base

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2000
      Hi Mack,

      Sorry I forgot to give you my .02 $ concerning the wood to use as a base...

      I would suggest that you build a grid framework (on edge not flat) from 1" x
      2" strapping from your local home depot and glue down a first layer of 2"
      extruded polyurethane insulation. 2" will give you huge stability and
      strength as well as depth in which you can carve rivers, gullies,
      underpasses etc. And you don't have to drill through plywood to install
      wiring!

      The advantage of the 1x2 framework is that you can build the frame in any
      configuration that you please. WARNING! AVOID 4'x8' DISEASE

      Try a dogbone approach with 3' deep ends with 2' middle depth. The ends
      would be wide enough for large radius curves and the middle section would
      allow you to reach across to pick up that derailed car.
      You can bend the dogbone, put it up against a wall or have it in the middle
      of the room or garage so that you can walk around all or parts of it.

      Then pick up a copy of the January-February 2000 issue of Ztrack to read the
      first in a series of 7 construction articles (4 on scenicking and 3 on
      creating mood).

      Be Zeeing U,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      www.Val-Ease-Central.com