Glue and Epoxy Question

  • dave.wolf64
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 21, 2014

      What types of Glue or epoxy do you use?

      What works well with what? and what has bin a total disaster?.

      And most importantly what holds up and doesn't turn yellow over time?

      I pulled a few kits and some locomotives out that have bin stored for a few years and

      well I must have used the wrong glue. on some of them.

      The # boards had come loose and the windows had turned yellow where the glue was on a (MTL F7) and the bldg. kits that looked grate when packed away now have yellow spots and/or are deformed or have come apart..

      I don't know what glue I used but I don't want to destroy anything else by using the wrong stuff again.

      So What is a good Glue or Epoxy to use for

      Wood ?

      Plastic ?

      Styre ?

      Brass ?

      foam ?

      Resin ?

      other ?

    • Kevin Brady
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 21, 2014

        Hi Dave.all,

        With all of these materials,clamping,environment ,age of the glue are all factors.

        Wood ?

        White glue works and carpenters(yellow) also other glues.

        Plastic ?

        Depends on the plastic.Testors works on most.

        Styre ?

        Depends.

        Brass ?

        Always solder brass,IMO.

        foam ?

        Woodland Scenics but this is just matte medium.

        Resin ?

        It should be sealed,first.

        other ?

        Contact cement to join dissimilar materials.

        Kev

        --
        Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service
      • Michael Crane
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
          Hi Dave,

          I would recommend Thick CA (shortened name of Cyanoacrylate) applied with a pin or toothpick to stick most materials together such as metals and hard plastics. It goes off in secconds and was once described to me as 'miracle glue'.

          Thin and Medium flowing versions are also available but in my experience Thick is the best as it doesn't run anywhere.

          Kind regards,

          Mike.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
            Hi all,
                     Any CA will get brittle over time,baking soda will make it rock solid.

            Best,Kev

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
              Wouldn't baking soda be awfully messy?  There is a spray on accelerator that sprays on and works very nicely.

                       Any CA will get brittle over time,baking soda will make it rock solid.

              Best,Kev

            • Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
                  Actually the spray makes it cure faster but means more heat quickly. It will make thin ca 'foam' which looks terrible. Baking soda is what we used before there was the spray. Works  great and strong, but I've never heard of ca just breaking down. It is crystalline and will break with flexing and load. The newer 'flex' and foam safes aren't true cyano to my knowledge so I don't know how those behave.

                  Sent from my iBrain

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014

                         Im having a great time experimenting with UV activated glue. I put the glue on, ZAP it with the little UV flashlight. Hard. That quick. I can add to it, sand it, use it as filler, paint it, Some surfaces need a swabbing of alcohol.

                          I put a tiny drop on aluminum foil and flatten it. ZAP, another bigger drop,ZAP I got a baseball cap/ hard hat/ firemans helmet, depending on how big I make it and how I shape it. I can pry it off the foil with a hobby knife, smear a bit more glue on a flattened head, slip on the hat, ZAP, it is on, ready to file/sand/paint.

                         If I am building a Z scale house, I use the white glue, then a drop of the UV glue in a corner, take my time lining things up( Legos work good as a tool), ZAP! it is secure until the other glue dries, meanwhile I can work on the other corner.ZAP, ZAP! All the while never worried again about gluing my fingers together, or to other pieces, or fumes messing up windows.

                         Fellas, Im telling you this UV is the greatest thing since Root Beer. And I  remember using CA glue in modeling  many many many years ago, and the old geezers would roll their eyes and say "we are happy with the Testors in the tube, why try something new?"

                    Kelley still in Germany.

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
                      Well Mr Zap Zap, are you going to tell us where we can buy this here in the USA so we can give it a trial?  Cost?

[...]

                    • kaiserwillieii0815
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014

                             I thought you were in the teeth business!! Isnt this what dentists use in our mouths all the time (that is the drawback, smell of stuff smells like you are in dentist chair)  Thing is, I can only find the glue in 1 particular big box store in Germany, and its costs about 20 bucks with light and holder, replacement tube 7. So far, I have not run out and I dont think it will dry out.

                             Now it is up to YOU guys, especially the tech types, to find a source of the stuff in the US and share. Skimming the internet I see there are several types, some slower in activation than others (you can ZAP it with the light, then put it together, hold it and then it sets after a small delay) There is also UV activated putty.

                             Stuff I use is called Bondic, and you can find Youtube videos of it in use. All I did was plant the seed. You heard about the stuff from me first, but watch and see, that  some guru will write about the stuff in a slick magazine somewhere, and everyone will be shouting  Hosanna!

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
                          I am in the teeth business, but the making only.  Light cure is what the dentist uses in the operatory.  I don't mind the odor because I've been around it for years.  I will inquire from one of my dentists and find out more.

                          From what I have read just now, Bondic, which you have is a German product and only available there.  I'm betting something like this is available here in the US.

                          We'll see where this all goes.
                          Loren

[...]

                        • Bim Bousman

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 22, 2014
                              Searching for 'UV Glue' here in the UK on a well known auction site brings up loads of results and it looks like its main function is gluing parts of smartphones together as most listings mention Samsung and iPhone...

                              Mike.

                              I am in the teeth business, but the making only.  Light cure is what the dentist uses in the operatory.  I don't mind the odor because I've been around it for years.  I will inquire from one of my dentists and find out more.

                              From what I have read just now, Bondic, which you have is a German product and only available there.  I'm betting something like this is available here in the US.

                              We'll see where this all goes.
                              Loren

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014

                                It bonds well with glass, and the whole trick is, you need to shine the UV light on it to get it to work. That is why it is used on those screens, and also used to glue object to glass, like mirrors on windshields and glass tables and shelves on furniture, So industries that make those are a more sources to look for it.

                                Another hobby that uses it is fly fishing. People who make those tiny flys are like the Z world of fishermen, but expect to pay big big money for the stuff they sell. Just re bottled industrial stuff.

                                Now the  downside.If it is two opaque objects and the glue is totally hidden you wont be able to use some of the glue. This is were the delayed action type of glue comes it, as the UV light hits it, and it starts the chain reaction, but gives you time to set the object glued into place. another problem is some of the glue is very light sensitive and sunlight or light from lamps might set it off. They have tweaked it so certain frequency of light hitting it will activate it.

                              • Kevin Brady
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014
                                  Hi Loren,all,
                                                   Not really,I put a tiny amount on a paint brush.Add CA(gel) join the pieces together a tap some baking soda on the glue,....BOOM! :-)
                                  My suspensions is that the accelerator is baking soda mixed with iso alcohol

                                  Best,Kev

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014

                                    Hi Gang

                                    As I remember the accelerator that I used smelled of ammonia which is a base. Baking soda will also act as a base. So that may be how it works.

                                    Spence

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014

                                      The outfit Cool Chem makes a product called Cyanpoxy that will bond just about anything to anything. It is great stuff. I use it in building all my Nn3 loco conversions. I am also using it on some projects I am working on in Zed.

                                      Tim Treadway

                                    • Kevin Brady
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 23, 2014
                                        Hi all,
                                                It really depends what your gluing together.

                                        Best,Kev