SHAPEWAYS PRINTED Z SCALE VIADUCTS

  • mdlmkr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2014
      I'm relatively new to this forum, and I wanted to share some 3D designs with the group.

      After creating a custom Z scale plate girder bridge for a friend in Australia, I decided to see if I could produce.a set of Z scale viaducts that can be connected together.  I am testing them at the moment, and things look promising.  They are not for sale yet, but you can look at them at my Shapeways shop.

      I placed a file VIADUCT PRICES.pdf in the files area.  I am not going to add a markup.  That is, these prices are what Shapeways charges me when I order them.

      If somebody has a desperate need, let me know.

      Chaz

    • jlcohen@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2014
        Very nice. What brand z-scale track fits? Märklin, Microtrains, Rokuhan?

        Jeff

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, <chuck@...> wrote:

        > I'm relatively new to this forum, and I wanted to share some 3D designs with the group.
        >

        > After creating a custom Z scale plate girder bridge for a friend in Australia, I decided to see if I could produce.a set of Z scale viaducts that can be connected together. I am testing them at the moment, and things look promising. They are not for sale yet, but you can look at them at my Shapeways shop.
        >
        > https://www.shapeways.com/shops/chaz?sort=name https://www.shapeways.com/shops/chaz?sort=name
        >

        > I placed a file VIADUCT PRICES.pdf in the files area. I am not going to add a markup. That is, these prices are what Shapeways charges me when I order them.
        >

        > If somebody has a desperate need, let me know.
        >

        > Chaz

      • mdlmkr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2014
          Hi Jeff,

          The viaducts were designed for Rokuhan track.  The bed where the track sits is 17mm (0.67") wide.  Any track (with or without a roadbed) that is narrower will work.

          Chaz.
        • mdlmkr
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

            I just added 6 photos from my first fitting.session.  I'm most pleased with the "bean" weight test.  The deflection casued by 30 ounces of beans in the middle of a 165mm straight was very small.  The bridge only weighs 0.4 ounces.

            The viaducts have 2mm holes at the corners that align with pins in the pylons.  3D printers are not good at making small holes, you I had to ream the holes with a 5/64" drill.

            Chaz

          • mdlmkr
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

              I just added 6 pictures from my first fitting session.

              3D printers can't make small holes very well...and the viaducts have a 2mm hole in each corner that align with pins in the pylons.  I had to ream the holes with a 5/64" drill.

              I was pleased with the "bean" strength test.  There was very little deflection from 30 ounces of beans in the middle of a 165mm long single track viaduct.

              It's hard to ignore the 13 degree crossing.

              Chaz

            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
                Really nice looking, and even better is the layout at t-kits.com.

                ...don

              • mdlmkr
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014

                  Thanks Don,

                  but the layout is not mine...although I did design the T-Trak N modules at T-Kits.

                  I'm new to this group and don't know what is proper etiquette.  I'd be glad to talk about T-Trak Z modules here or offline.  At the very least, I'll just say that I have T-Trak Z modules designed, but so far, the interest level is very low.

                  Chaz

                • mdlmkr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 14, 2014

                    I just put a 3D rendering of a curved viaduct with raised lettering.

                    If you need a lettered viaduct, contact me by private message.

                    Chaz

                  • mdlmkr
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 14, 2014

                      My shop is now open.  The prices jumped about 30% when I doubled the thickness of the roadbed.  They are much stronger now.  As promised there is no price markup.

                      Lettering is available.  Contact me by private message.

                      I have to some time to devote to making some better looking pylons.  I would appreciate your ideas.

                      Chaz