Signal 89392

  • proust63it
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2013
      Dear Märklin friends,
      I have received as a Xmas gift a 89392 Signal for my layout and now my question is: I have available some of the old 8946 Signal-Handschalter and now I don't know if I can use it for switching this new Signal.
      Thank you in advance for any advice.

      Best regards
      Stefano Rocca
    • MG
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2013
        Stefano,

        The problem is that the 8946 has only two positions and the 89392
        has three lights. If you want to do automatic train control and
        use all three lights on the signal then you have to use a bit of
        ingenuity. I believe there are at least two ways to go if you
        want to use the 8946 and control the trains in conjunction with
        the lights. The first is to use two of the 8946 and the second is
        to use one 8946 and one DPDT toggle switch to add the yellow
        light. That way you can control all three lights as well as the
        train speed at the same time.

        Manfred

        proust63it@... wrote:
        > Dear Märklin friends,
        > I have received as a Xmas gift a 89392 Signal for my layout and now my question is: I have available some of the old 8946 Signal-Handschalter and now I don't know if I can use it for switching this new Signal.
        > Thank you in advance for any advice.
        >
        > Best regards
        > Stefano Rocca
      • roconnor30319
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2013
          As has been noted, the 89392 has three indications, but you can use the 8946 switch to control two of the three functions and get train control with the on/off capabilities of the 8946.

          RO'C
        • Stefano Rocca
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2013

            Dear Manfred,
            Thank you so much for your very useful answer. I know what you mean and so I can switch with one of the 8946 tre green/red lights and on the second 8945 I'll connect the yellow ones...can I?
            As DPDT, anyway, are you speaking about the the 7072 Märklin Stellpult?

            Best regards

            Stefano Rocca

            proust63it@... wrote:
            > Dear Märklin friends,
            > I have received as a Xmas gift a 89392 Signal for my layout and now my question is: I have available some of the old 8946 Signal-Handschalter and now I don't know if I can use it for switching this new Signal.
            > Thank you in advance for any advice.
            >
            > Best regards
            > Stefano Rocca

          • MG
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2013
              You are correct. However if one wants to add the third light
              setting (green plus yellow) and the corresponding slow speed of
              the train as well as the full speed and stop, then two 8946 or
              one 8946 plus one DPDT switch will be required. I would go with
              the DPDT toggle option as it is a bit less expensive and the
              wiring is a bit simpler.

              Manfred

              roc@... wrote:
              > As has been noted, the 89392 has three indications, but you can use the 8946 switch to control two of the three functions and get train control with the on/off capabilities of the 8946.
              >
              > RO'C
            • MG
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 29, 2013
                Well Stefano as far as the DPDT I was talking about a simple
                toggle switch that you can buy rather inexpensively in most local
                electronics stores. It will have two on positions and 6
                connection points on the bottom for wires.

                The wiring of the two 8946 switches if you want to go that way
                gets a bit more complicated then just connecting the yellow light
                to the switch. First the way I understand the use of the signal
                is that both the green and yellow are used at the same time, so
                you have to account for that and then if you do intend to use the
                switches to control the start/slow/stop of the train depending on
                the light setting then there is a bit of wiring that needs to be
                done. The slow speed is done using a big resistor of whatever
                value gives you the right speed or better yet a rheostat that
                will carry the load. That way you can accommodate different locs
                as some need more power to get the same speed.

                If you wish I can send you a jpg of how to hook up the wires. I
                do not know if you need to incorporate a resistor in the power
                wires to the lights or if they are already included in the
                signal. I understand that the lights in the newer signals are
                LEDs so putting a full 10V to them may burn them out if the
                resistors are not already included in the construction of the
                signal head. It should tell you that in the instructions that
                come with the signal.

                Manfred

                Stefano Rocca wrote:
                > Dear Manfred,
                > Thank you so much for your very useful answer. I know what you mean and so I can switch with one of the 8946 tre green/red lights and on the second 8945 I'll connect the yellow ones...can I?
                > As DPDT, anyway, are you speaking about the the 7072 Märklin Stellpult?
                >
                > Best regards
                >
                > Stefano Rocca

              • Stefano Rocca
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 29, 2013

                  Dear Manfred,

                  Thank you so much again. I know what you mean about the DPDT switches and I wish you could send me the jpg how to hook up the wires. You're right about the resistor which are just incorporated in the signal itself and in the booklet it is suggested to connect it to a 7244 through a normal AC Märklin H0 Trafo.

                  Best regards
                  Stefano Rocca

                  Stefano Rocca wrote:
                  > Dear Manfred,
                  > Thank you so much for your very useful answer. I know what you mean and so I can switch with one of the 8946 tre green/red lights and on the second 8945 I'll connect the yellow ones...can I?
                  > As DPDT, anyway, are you speaking about the the 7072 Märklin Stellpult?
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  >
                  > Stefano Rocca

                • MG
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2013
                    OK Stefano. I will send it direct to your email. The list here
                    does not allow attachments.

                    Manfred