account comprimised

  • davesejunk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 22, 2013

      A laptop containing all my login info has turned up missing.

      As a safety precaution I will be closing all accounts and re upping with a new account and email address.  Please be cautious of any future post and /or email's from davesejunk@...

      David

    • trainssd
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 22, 2013

        Sorry to hear about this, but why not simply change your email password?

        Once you have changed it, no one else can use it, since the old password is no more.

        Closing bank accounts makes sense of course.

        Greg

      • davesejunk
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 22, 2013

          I thought the same thing

          But I was advised to close out all accounts and re open new accounts

          So that's what I'm doing

        • trainssd
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013

            I know that you don't know me personally, or probably don't know my history, but I've been involved and owned personal computers before the IBM XT came out in what, '75.

            I have also run the IT department in the last 4 companies I have worked for.

            email is secure when you have a good password and try to use encrypted access to it whenever possible.

            But the compromise is just the password, and any "security" questions AND the answers to these questions.

            Change your password, and check your contact information (like phone number) and your security questions.

            Changing your account name really does nothing, since the danger is the password "getting out"...

            Now other accounts, that can be validated with a social security number, which you cannot change, well, it's clear you need a new account. You can use this thinking as a key of what to do, anything that can be validated with numbers you cannot change (SSN, birth date, mother's maiden name), those should be changed, and EVEN then, you have limited security, best to use a PIN number as id as opposed to a SSN, and many companies will do this for you if you really insist.

            Sorry to get off trains guys, but changing email addresses can be very painful and cause you to lose contact with other people and spend a lot of time.

            Just trying to help, and you must do what you feel comfortable doing. Feel free to email me with any questions offline if you wish  greg@...

            Regards, Greg

          • BAZ
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013

              I can see why Yahoo wants him to close his accounts: it's $50 if want an account without ads !!!!!

              There are still free accounts, with ads, but still no POP mail access, only IMAP or business's they have agreements with.

              Jeff

              Sent 'from the road'

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013

                The closing of all my accounts had nothing to do with Yahoo or yahoo groups.  Sad to say the laptop went missing at a family gathering.  I can not go into details at this time,  But the possible loss of contacts and other info as a result of starting new email and re-signing up for online stuff is a small price to pay if it protects my family and prevents one relative from using me to get at another.

                "You can choose your friends but your stuck with your relatives whether you like them or not".

                I would do it again and stop all online contacts if that's what is needed to keep my family and friends safe.

                David

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013
                  David,
                  Maybe the term 'outlaws' applies more to certain relatives than bank robbers of yesteryear......