NMRA recognition of Z scale

  • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013
      Folks,

        The posts about Rod Stewart's layout and Miniatur Wunderland in Germany have reminded me that the NMRA has consistently snubbed Z scale.  Examples: David George's award winning modules took several first places at the 2012 NTS and photos of them were prominently featured in the NMRA magazine - labeled as HO!  A couple of issues later they did issue an obscure correction after I called their attention to their stupidity (didn't put it quite that way).  In 2013 David took another first place at the 2013 NTS in Atlanta.  You would expect that, with a record like that, his modular layout would be featured in the NMRA calendar, wouldn't you?  No way, despite the fact that I wrote the calendar committee to suggest it!  In fact, there has NEVER been a photo of ANY Z scale modeling in the NMRA calendar.  In correspondence with the NMRA President, Charlie Getz, I suggested that they change the name to NHOMRA, since they make it obvious that almost their entire focus is on HO, with an occasional bone thrown to N scale or O scale.  The response was predictable, "Oh we really embrace all scales, even if 98% of our attention is on HO."  That is a primary reason I was so upset about the cancellation of the 2014 Z scale convention.

        Merry Christmas and here's hoping for a happier 2014 than 2013.

      CheerZ,
        -- Malcolm Z

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013
        Hi, that's why I gave up with NMRA subscription a few years ago, simply not sending the yearly payment. Never even received any call or mail from them asking why. No problem, not beeing anymore a NMRA subscriber doesn't prevent me to sleep. ;-)

        Dom

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013

          If it's important for the NMRA to recognize Z scale then more of us need to join the NMRA. I dropped out because membership is too expensive and I don't think the NMRA is relevant to the hobby. I hope we can rejuvenate the national Z scale convention.  I lookat N scale with their successful national and regional conventions and Ntrack veryfew N scalers join NMRA and the relationship overall is somewhat adversarial.  Z scale is progressing thank you Z scale magazine,  Micro Trains and AZL. So I don't even think about NMRA I just hope Z scale keeps progressing as it has the past 10-15 years. Wow look at all the locomotives and cars. Who needs NMRA.

        • eugenetencate

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013

              I'm going to step out of my moderator shoes for a second.

              I run Z and G scales. Factually, I'm VERY hard pressed to see any significant involvement or support from the NMRA in these two scales.

              I would be very happy to see evidence of this support if it exists.

              I completely agree that for HO, the NMRA has been a significant and driving force. Standards like the RP25 contour were milestones in the hobby.

              But, for example in the DCC arena, the "value" of the NMRA is again really somewhat lacking. How many people truthfully check to see if their DCC decoders (in any scale) have the NMRA Conformance Warrant?

              Two good questions to ask yourself.

              Regards, Greg

            • Rick Saviano
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013
                Dom,

                Strange thing about memberships:
                I used to be Membership Trainmaster for my local NMRA division (I moved and switched to another division).  All After about 3 months of an lapsed membership, I used to try to contact the former member to find out why.  I usually got one of 2 replies:
                1. the member had fallen onto hard times and had to cut back; NMRA fell off their priority list
                2. the member had passed away

                Lapsed membership is merely recorded on the National level; it is up to the Division to do the follow up. I'm guessing, if there is a division representative for your area, that person assumed your reason was one of the two, and wanted to avoid the awkward situation either of those two responses evokes.

                My suggestion is that, if you let your membership lapse for a reason, you should make National aware of the reason

                -Rick

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 22, 2013
                  Hi Rick. Interresting comments. I can assure you that none of that occured. And living in France, there's no NMRA division here. As I've given up with my subscription many years ago there would make no sense for me to give them a reason for my departure right now.. Merry Christmas to everybody. ;-)
                  Dom

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 26, 2013
                    I don't think that there needs to be competition between scales. I am primarily HO, but I was given a nice Z layout and I enjoy it too. I am a member of NMRA, but I don't get the magazine because it doesn't help me and it cuts the cost quite a bit. I am a member of two local clubs and one of them requires NMRA membership. I have also enjoyed going to Regional and state conventions and learned a lot at them. I think that the hobby would not have made the so much progress or be a great as it is, if the NMRA hadn't been setting standards.

                    Paul

                    Live Simply, Laugh Often

                      --
                      Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service
                    • kaiserwillieii0815
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 27, 2013

                        For those in Europe interested in the NMRA, look up the Atlantic District. I met some reps in Rodgau Germany at the US convention a few months ago. The guy from the UK was Z friendly and because space is a problem in Europe, I think they are trying to push for Z. The German guy I met, well, not so much...