Interesting conversations on the Zo_Cal forum

  • trainssd
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 11, 2013
      Not wanting to duplicate/copy postings on the 2 forums, so might want to see the discussions about ultra-small computer to run JMRI and wireless server, and also (blush) my layout on a G scale flat car.

      Greg
    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 11, 2013
        Greg, us BAZ BoyZ have both a small dedicated tablet that hangs on the side. That way, we can run Panel Pro for the turnouts.

        Matt was hacking a WiFi HotSpot to make it a self-booting jmri server. Not completed yet. Maybe by January 4-5.

        Most every Friday, I go to the DCC Lunch (Yahoo Groups DCC Lunch). Most everything is Arduino but let me bring it up again.

        Jeff

        Sent 'from the road'

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 11, 2013

          Jeff are you using the web server on JMRI and a browser on the tablet?

          I have not completely tested this, but running the web server and the wiithrottle server at the same time did not work well for me under Windows.

          Greg

        • trainssd
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 12, 2013
            I see, you are running JMRI on an old XP tablet.
          • BAZ
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 12, 2013
              Actually, 2000 on the Tablet, W7 on a netbook, whichever we choose. Both jmri and the Wifi Throttle run on the same device. But we are trying to but both in a hacked Wifi HotSpot so everything is in there. DHCP server, jmri and Wifi Throttle. Then USB to the Serial on the NCE Power House.

              Jeff

              Sent 'from the road'

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 13, 2013
                You mean you run JMRI and the WII Throttle server  on the same windows pc right?

                The only throttle program on laptops under windows is the web interface to JMRI, which requires running an additional server "from" the JMRI main program, unless I forget.

                I've also had problems with JMRI trying to run the WII throttle server and the web server at the same time.

                Have you ever done this?

                Greg
              • trainssd
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 16, 2013
                  Hello?
                • Cliff Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 16, 2013
                    Hi Greg!

                    Cliff
                    SSgt USMC, Retired
                    '11 Ford Flex SEL AWD/EcoBoost
                    '86 Yamaha FZX-R
                    Z scale trains

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 16, 2013
                        Not sure if it takes any extra settings in the Windows WiFi settings to allow DHCP. The WiThrottle is part of jmri and just needs to be turned on to allow access to any Apple or Android that cannot connect (as in just connect to Windows WiFi).

                        http://www.withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Setup.html

                        I don't have access to a PC right now to download and double check your issues.

                        Jeff

                        Sent 'from the road'

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2013
                          Still not succeeding in making myself clear.

                          JMRI has TWO servers built in, one is the server that works with the apps on Android and iPhone.

                          The other server is a web server, just use a browser.

                          I have had issues with BOTH servers running at the SAME time, and wondering if you have tried this or experienced it.

                          Greg

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 16, 2013
                            Nope. We haven't used the Web (browser) server, as far as I know. No need for it. I'll let the others reply if they know.

                            I didn't see the option/function/ module when I searched and I don't have a system to connect to while traveling so can't get all the options up.

                            Jeff

                            Sent 'from the road'

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013
                                Ah, I see now. I'll talk to the fellows about it.

                                Jeff

                                Sent 'from the road'