MTL Nn3 2-6-0

  • ccrails2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2013
      Hi All,

      I am asking here because the group came up in an google search on the model in question.

      I've come into ownership of a MTL Nn3 2-6-0. The problem is it doesn't run. I can't find anything obvious wrong with it.

      Motor and contacts are clean. Armature spins freely.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks

      David Epling
      Stockton, CA
    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2013
        Check each motor contact to either driver (or Tendor) wheels that have (obvious) electrical pickups.

        Jeff

        Sent 'from the road'

        On Dec 8, 2013, at 11:36 PM, <atsf1547@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        I am asking here because the group came up in an google search on the model in question.

        I've come into ownership of a MTL Nn3 2-6-0. The problem is it doesn't run. I can't find anything obvious wrong with it.

        Motor and contacts are clean. Armature spins freely.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks

        David Epling
        Stockton, CA

      • Kevin Brady
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2013
          Hi David,all,
                          First apply power directly to the motor to make sure it works.Then to the wheels,....let us know,...

          Dr Dirt ;-)

          --
          Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service
        • Jay Greer

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013

              I am about to give you a pathetic answer...I can't figure out where to check for continuity.

              it *looks* like the side of the motor brushes against the shell of the locomotive to complete the circuit...is that correct??

              Thanks

              David

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013
                Hi David,all,
                                Once again,apply direct power to the motor to make sure it works.If not a cleaning and re-lube/grease maybe in order.
                Next check all wire,then apply power to the wheels.

                Best,Dr Dirt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 2013
                    Not sure about that Nn3 loco. Think it was from Life-Like. Nn3 forum might have more help.

                    Get a 9v battery with the red/black flying leads adapter. Touch to motor brushes.

                    Everyone has a different may to get the electrical pickup. The frames were common on most scales. But there has to be some sort of obvious tension contact from those brushes to that frame surface. Take a couple of *quality* pix and post them. Give us a set of eyes.

                    Jeff

                    Sent 'from the road'