A New Z Scale Railroader.

  • mack@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
      Hello and Happy New Year!

      I'm pretty new to the world of Z scale model trains. I've always wanted to get into Z but finding what was available was somewhat diffcult. I just recently purchased a 81465 AMERICAN STARTER SET. Once I had it set up and running, I was hooked.

      Now I'm planning on building a 8'x 4' layout, modern and mostly U.S. based. Any suggests or tips would be great.

      Anyone have a suggestion on what type of wood is good to build a z scale layout on?

      Also, I'm in Austin Texas, and was wondering if there was anyone else in the area interested in Z scale trains. I've read that there is a Z group in Houston. I would like to come by someday and learn about the group and talk to the members.

      Maybe Mr. Bill Kronenberger could you possibly help me that information? I figure since your in Houston.

      Again I just wanted to say Hello and I'm very excited about learning and building in Z scale.

      Thanks,

      Mack
    • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
        Howdy Mack: (typical Texan greeting a Texan):

        > I'm pretty new to the world of Z scale model trains.

        Delighted you chose the perfect scale to have fun.

        > Also, I'm in Austin Texas, and was wondering if there was anyone else in
        the
        > area interested in Z scale trains.

        At this time, I know of no organized z scale activity in Austin. Which is a
        real shame, since the local stores in Austin sell Z scale. There are Z-heads
        in the area for certain.

        Sounds like you could be the lightening rod to unify all that interest in
        your area, by simply posting a sign in your local shops. Have a Saturday
        meeting at a coffee shop or train store. It works.

        > I've read that there is a Z group in
        > Houston. I would like to come by someday and learn about the group and talk
        > to the members. Maybe Bill Kronenberger could you possibly help me that
        > information? I figure since your in Houston.

        Email me anytime you plan to be down this way. We'll roll out the red carpet
        for you.

        If you can visit Houston on February 19th or 20th, you'll see our Z Bend
        Track modular layout at the Great American Train Show (GATS) in Houston's big
        convention center. Normal crowds run around 8,000 folks a day, with lots of
        vendors.

        Or Dallas in April, when several Z layouts will come together.

        Bring your train !!! Love to have you run with us.

        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston