Z scale news New Engine from Rokuhan EF66 to be released in Dec

  • garthah
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
      Hobby Search opens pre-orders for this engine this week for delivery in December. Price in Japan at current exchange rate is USD $97.00 both truck powered and traction tires so lots of power.

      www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1030/0/1

      regards Garth
    • Lindley Ruddick
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
        Nice price and with the Rokuhan reputation it should be a winner. Now if they would just do a US prototype…..

      • David Mummery
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
          Hey Lindley and Gang,

          I noticed yesterday when I was ordering some N scale CTA cars that IMW has some Z shells.

          https://www.shapeways.com/shops/islandmodelworks

          I have no interest in them other then buying the CTA cars
          Dave

          Dave Mummery

          http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
          http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

          From: Lindley Ruddick <elruddick@...>
          Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 23:19:06
          To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Z scale news New Engine from Rokuhan EF66 to be
          released in Dec

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2013
            CTA and other commuter light rail items are not my thing. Transition era diesels float my boat.
            My limited experience with Z scale FUD Shapeways printing leaves a bit to be desired. They are still too "fuzzy" to satisfy me especially when one tries to mask for painting or applying decals.
            Lindley

            On Oct 3, 2013, at 4:30 PM, "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...> wrote:

            > Hey Lindley and Gang,
            >
            > I noticed yesterday when I was ordering some N scale CTA cars that IMW has some Z shells.
            >
            > https://www.shapeways.com/shops/islandmodelworks
            >
            > I have no interest in them other then buying the CTA cars
            > Dave
            >
            > Dave Mummery
            >
            > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
            > http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
            >
            > Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone

          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013
              On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:47:43 -0700
              Lindley Ruddick <elruddick@...> wrote:

              > CTA and other commuter light rail items are not my thing. Transition era diesels float my boat.
              > My limited experience with Z scale FUD Shapeways printing leaves a bit to be desired. They are still too "fuzzy" to satisfy me especially when one tries to mask for painting or applying decals.

              I've been using FUD successfully for wooden bodied vehicles and some
              other stuff. Quality has definitely improved but still heavily depends
              upon whether support material is needed, and you have to design for that.

              More interesting for Z and some N applications IMHO is that they now also
              offer lost wax casting off 3D print with a similar spec to FUD. That's
              potentially really useful for getting a sensible weight and strength on
              things like flats where FUD tends to bow and distort.

              For most stuff I'm using either etched overlays or printed/machine cut
              vinyl, and traditional plastic or white metal fittings in conjunction
              with 3D printed shells. That has some real advantages in quality, in
              weight and in ease of construction.

              Alan
            • Thomas Habrik
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013
                I find it difficult to find other shells in scale Z from any 3D print designer. Does anyone have some links or tipps or hints to find producers of Z scale stuff made from 3D printers?

                Thomas

                Von meinem iPad gesendet

                > Am 04.10.2013 um 01:30 schrieb "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...>:
                >
                > Hey Lindley and Gang,
                >
                > I noticed yesterday when I was ordering some N scale CTA cars that IMW has some Z shells.
                >
                > https://www.shapeways.com/shops/islandmodelworks
                >
                > I have no interest in them other then buying the CTA cars
                > Dave
                >
                > Dave Mummery
                >
                > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                > http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
                >
                > Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone

              • Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013
                  For what it's worth, I'm such a person. I'm currently working on a number of projects, but I'm always open to suggestions. I have a line of Pullman Heavyweights, that I've shared with the llst before. My next model, which should be available soon, is an FA-1 shell for the MTL F7 chassis.

                  So, let me know what you'd like to see, and I'll see how fast I could turn it around.

                  Best,
                  Geoff Wathen.

                  On Oct 5, 2013, at 2:42 AM, Thomas Habrik <thomas@...> wrote:

                  > I find it difficult to find other shells in scale Z from any 3D print designer. Does anyone have some links or tipps or hints to find producers of Z scale stuff made from 3D printers?
                  >
                  > Thomas
                  >
                  > Von meinem iPad gesendet
                  >
                  >> Am 04.10.2013 um 01:30 schrieb "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...>:
                  >>
                  >> Hey Lindley and Gang,
                  >>
                  >> I noticed yesterday when I was ordering some N scale CTA cars that IMW has some Z shells.
                  >>
                  >> https://www.shapeways.com/shops/islandmodelworks
                  >>
                  >> I have no interest in them other then buying the CTA cars
                  >> Dave
                  >>
                  >> Dave Mummery
                  >>
                  >> http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                  >> http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
                  >>
                  >> Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone

                • themohican2003
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2013

                    Here is a Gp38 high nose shell for AZL. There additional variations in my shop as well as several car body designs.  http://shpws.me/oX1L