Re: [Z_Scale] Micro-Trains GP-9

  • jeffcrist2002
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
      Eric, if its new, contact Micro Trains. You dont want to do anything that
      will void the warranty. Also, tell us if you its out of warranty. We know
      couple of tricks, but its best to take care of the problem with your
      warranty. Also, theres no fix for a bad motor.

      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
        If it is that dead slow, running it at the higher 9 volts is *very* stressful on the motor and will cause it to over heat. You can't feel a cordless motor's heat on the outside (of the shell) like an old Can or classic Permanent magnet motor.

        Jeff

        Sent 'from the road'

        On Oct 2, 2013, at 8:24 PM, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

        Try the movie line from Forrest Gump........ "Run Forrest  run"  Just let it run for a while in both directions.  If that doesn't work, then the issue is something else.  Try running it first for a while.  It should speed up.

        Loren

        It has been a long time since I posted. Hope all is well with everyone. I just got a hold of a MTL GP-9 (I would have preferred an AZL but they don't cover my railroads). Out of the box and on the MTL track it is as slow as molasses at 9V. I loosened the body frame screws a bit thinking that would help. My 2 MTL F7s can run circles around this Geep! Any suggestions or is it just a breaking in issue? Thanks!

        Eric

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013
          if his MTL F7s run better than this geep, boy you really have problems. Use Lorens' advice and BAZs advice and run it about 2 hours in each direction. If you are still having problems contact Eric Smith at MTL. He "WILL" get it right. But before you contact him ask your "dealer" about it. I have had plenty of problems with my F7s that are MTL, but no problems with any of their GPs. I was told a long time ago that all of MTLs F7s ect. will run noisy so heres what I do, when I run them I put my John Lennon cd on and listen to "Watching The Wheels Go Round and Round". No noise and good music to listen to. Lee Barry CEO L"Z"PMRR Bristol,Va.

          Date: 10/2/2013 8:05:16 PM

          Hey Folks,

          It has been a long time since I posted. Hope all is well with everyone. I just got a hold of a MTL GP-9 (I would have preferred an AZL but they don&apos;t cover my railroads). Out of the box and on the MTL track it is as slow as molasses at 9V. I loosened the body frame screws a bit thinking that would help. My 2 MTL F7s can run circles around this Geep! Any suggestions or is it just a breaking in issue? Thanks!

          Eric

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • garthah
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2013

             If it is is that badly bound up check temperature of engine with your fingers while running and shut down if it starts to get very warm as you risk burning it up.  Engines this tight I have found in the past tend to have been assembled by someone who installed the truck frames to tightly. turn screws out (counter clockwise), one half turn and try running again if still slow try another half turn if still not working satisfactorily then contact Micro Trains and to a warranty return and get them to check it out. Hopefully this is not a second hand engine.

            regards Garth