Re : [Z_Scale] An exciting announcement...

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17 12:45 AM
      I've not any knowledge of passenger equipment, but they look nice. Congratulations!
      Dom

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17 7:12 AM
        I would like to see a boat tail skirted observation car to match mtl smooth sides

        cheerz Garth

        > Geoff,
        >
        > I believe folks would love to see a drop center flat car for carrying heavy
        > loads. Why not give that a try?
        > Loren

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17 7:27 AM
          On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:50:18 -0700
          Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen <mail@...> wrote:

          > Well, at least it is for me. I've finally gotten some things lined up to be able to start making models. I'm opting to use 3D printing, and I'm quite pleased with the results, at this point. While I will grant that the models aren't up to quite the same standard as injection molding, what can be done today with 3D printing is phenomenal.
          > My first models are a set of Pullman Heavy Weight passenger cars. You can see some photos of my first prototypes here:
          >
          > http://wathen.us/trains/Diner.jpg
          > http://wathen.us/trains/RPO.jpg
          > http://wathen.us/trains/First-Pullmans.jpg

          Sweet. And Z is a great scale for 3D printing pricewise.

          > though I am looking into what I can do in the way of providing decorated or partially decorated unit. My target price for the undecorated units is around $30 per car, including MTL 6-wheel passenger trucks.

          In N I've taken a couple of approaches for decals. For smoothsided
          vehicles cut a matching vinyl side with all the artwork on it using
          vinyl cutter, and simply apply it. This also deals with the texture
          quality nicely.

          For stuff with a litle raised detail one option is to spray them white
          and use full bodyside decals printed on an ordinary laser printer with
          clear backing (using the white of the body as the backing for all but the
          windows). Microsol and friends will then get it to conform fairly well.

          Biggest problem I've found isn't the artwork its the licensing for all
          the logos and trademarks. For that reason I've only be doing it for older
          out of copyright marks !

          Alan
        • David Mummery
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17 8:31 AM
            I second Garth's wish!
            Dave

            Dave Mummery

            http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
            http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

            From: Garth <garth.a.hamilton@...>
            Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:12:25
            To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: An exciting announcement...

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> , "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

            > Geoff,
            >
            > I believe folks would love to see a drop center flat car for carrying heavy
            > loads. Why not give that a try?
            > Loren

          • Jeff Thompson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18 7:34 AM
              HI Geoff -

              Since you were asking for suggestions on cars to produce:

              http://www.johnstownamerica.com/Dynastack.htm

              These are the coolest intermodal cars I have ever seen (and then only once,
              since they are so new).

              Jeff T.