An exciting announcement...

  • Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
      Well, at least it is for me. I've finally gotten some things lined up to be able to start making models. I'm opting to use 3D printing, and I'm quite pleased with the results, at this point. While I will grant that the models aren't up to quite the same standard as injection molding, what can be done today with 3D printing is phenomenal.
      My first models are a set of Pullman Heavy Weight passenger cars. You can see some photos of my first prototypes here:

      http://wathen.us/trains/Diner.jpg
      http://wathen.us/trains/RPO.jpg
      http://wathen.us/trains/First-Pullmans.jpg

      These are completely undecorated and unpainted. I'll post more photos when I give these models at least a top coat of paint. I'll also see about posting a video of them in motion.
      The complete set will include seven cars. Initially, I plan on making them available as undecorated units, to begin with, though I am looking into what I can do in the way of providing decorated or partially decorated unit. My target price for the undecorated units is around $30 per car, including MTL 6-wheel passenger trucks.
      With this method of production, I will be able to move quickly from a request for a certain type of car to a delivered model. So, if you have any cars that you'd like to see me produce, feel free to chime in.
      Any questions? I'm happy to answer!

      Best,
      Geoff W.

      P.S. Here's another car that I've already got in the pipeline. A heavy duty flat car:

      http://wathen.us/trains/HD-Flatcar.jpg
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
        I've not any knowledge of passenger equipment, but they look nice. Congratulations!
        Dom

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
          Geoff,

          I believe folks would love to see a drop center flat car for carrying heavy
          loads. Why not give that a try?
          Loren

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
            I would like to see a boat tail skirted observation car to match mtl smooth sides

            cheerz Garth

            > Geoff,
            >
            > I believe folks would love to see a drop center flat car for carrying heavy
            > loads. Why not give that a try?
            > Loren

          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
              On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:50:18 -0700
              Geoffrey Harleigh Wathen <mail@...> wrote:

              > Well, at least it is for me. I've finally gotten some things lined up to be able to start making models. I'm opting to use 3D printing, and I'm quite pleased with the results, at this point. While I will grant that the models aren't up to quite the same standard as injection molding, what can be done today with 3D printing is phenomenal.
              > My first models are a set of Pullman Heavy Weight passenger cars. You can see some photos of my first prototypes here:
              >
              > http://wathen.us/trains/Diner.jpg
              > http://wathen.us/trains/RPO.jpg
              > http://wathen.us/trains/First-Pullmans.jpg

              Sweet. And Z is a great scale for 3D printing pricewise.

              > though I am looking into what I can do in the way of providing decorated or partially decorated unit. My target price for the undecorated units is around $30 per car, including MTL 6-wheel passenger trucks.

              In N I've taken a couple of approaches for decals. For smoothsided
              vehicles cut a matching vinyl side with all the artwork on it using
              vinyl cutter, and simply apply it. This also deals with the texture
              quality nicely.

              For stuff with a litle raised detail one option is to spray them white
              and use full bodyside decals printed on an ordinary laser printer with
              clear backing (using the white of the body as the backing for all but the
              windows). Microsol and friends will then get it to conform fairly well.

              Biggest problem I've found isn't the artwork its the licensing for all
              the logos and trademarks. For that reason I've only be doing it for older
              out of copyright marks !

              Alan
            • David Mummery
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
                I second Garth's wish!
                Dave

                Dave Mummery

                http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
                http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

                From: Garth <garth.a.hamilton@...>
                Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:12:25
                To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: An exciting announcement...

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> , "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                > Geoff,
                >
                > I believe folks would love to see a drop center flat car for carrying heavy
                > loads. Why not give that a try?
                > Loren

              • Jeff Thompson
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 18, 2013
                  HI Geoff -

                  Since you were asking for suggestions on cars to produce:

                  http://www.johnstownamerica.com/Dynastack.htm

                  These are the coolest intermodal cars I have ever seen (and then only once,
                  since they are so new).

                  Jeff T.