Re: GG1 Coupler Conversion

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2013
      I have converted my 2 GG1' to Micro Trains 905's

      I pealed the copper strip back from coupler box and clipped it off on one on the other I used it on top of 905. becarefull this copper strip is also power pickup from front or trailing truck depending on which way engine is facing. You only want to clip piece than was over the coupler pocket. On ther 905 I cu the back wall off of the assembled coupler with a sharp Exacto blade, be sure to not cut the back of the coupler arms inside the box. Then I inserted the coupler into the coupler pocket after removing the pin that held the original Marklin coupler. Then I drilled a hole for a 00-90 brass screw and tapped it for installing the coupler snug up under the pilot. On one I brought the copper cover back over the 905 and made a hole where the hole is located in the 905 and then drilled tapped for the 905 inserted the 00-90 screw into hole in brass and then into coupler and tightened in the taped hole. Since the 905 is a bit of a tight fit into the pocket on the second conversion I used the dremel tool with a half worn off cut off disc and in small moves remove the pocket side walls and pin that held the Marklin coupler. This is delicate work as you do not want to damage things.Essentially the 905 is body mounted under the front pilot beam. If you use the 902 Marklin replacement from Micro Trains then you have to open the brass cover over the pocket and I do like the trouble you have getting the brass cover to hold in place with the replacement installed, this is because the pilot beam is metal and most coupler pockets on other cars and engine are plastic so you just need a bit of heat to reseal pocket cover but that doesn't work with metal and ACC is messy and could end up binding the whole thing and then the coupler does not work.

      for clification
      902 is old micro Trains part number current number is 02 02 010 for one package with 2 pair of couplers .
      903 is unasselbled body mount couplers current number is 02 02 020 one package with 2 pair of couplers .

      905 is assemble body mount coupler current number is 02 02 021 one package with 2 pair of couplers

      For those of us who have been at this awhile remember these 900 series number and not the current numbers.

      If a picture would help I can post one or send on by e-mail.

      regards Garth