Rokuhan Bridges and Track for Bridges

  • gardenrails
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
      I am going to be using several of the Rokuhan Bridges on my layout. I noticed that they sell some 110 mm track with no road bed for use on their bridges. It seems pretty pricey for what it does. Can I use Micro Trains flex and will the Rokuhan rail joiners work with the MT track?

      Mack Canady
      Greensboro, NC
    • BAZ
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
        Likely. Someone will chime in with the specs. Most bridges have close space ties (like double density). With the MTL flex, it will take a while but you can work all the ties towards the middle.
        If you put in guard rails. Make sure that:
        - the don't touch other at the ends (if you make the 'diamond' style)
        - mount them to the road bed so they are not quite as high as the rail (easier to clean and you can have that rusty rail top effect)

        Jeff

        Sent 'from the road'

        On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:26 AM, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

        > I am going to be using several of the Rokuhan Bridges on my layout. I noticed that they sell some 110 mm track with no road bed for use on their bridges. It seems pretty pricey for what it does. Can I use Micro Trains flex and will the Rokuhan rail joiners work with the MT track?
        >
        > Mack Canady
        > Greensboro, NC

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
          On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:13:22 -0700
          BAZ <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

          > Likely. Someone will chime in with the specs. Most bridges have close space ties (like double density). With the MTL flex, it will take a while but you can work all the ties towards the middle.
          > If you put in guard rails. Make sure that:
          > - the don't touch other at the ends (if you make the 'diamond' style)
          > - mount them to the road bed so they are not quite as high as the rail (easier to clean and you can have that rusty rail top effect)

          Yep - a good and near invisible cheat is to use a smaller 'code' of rail
          for them.

          Alan
        • rgminutillo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
            The bridges have slots that take the Rokuhan roadbed connectors so their 'naked' track lines up perfectly. so if you're using Rokuhan track outside the bridge the Rokuhan 'naked' works well. If you're using non-Rokuhan roadbed track with the bridges, you might have to fudge the plastic connectors. The actua metal rail joiners should be no problem in any case, other that the slight differences in rail height among the different vendors.

            RGM

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

            > I am going to be using several of the Rokuhan Bridges on my layout. I noticed that they sell some 110 mm track with no road bed for use on their bridges. It seems pretty pricey for what it does. Can I use Micro Trains flex and will the Rokuhan rail joiners work with the MT track?
            >
            > Mack Canady
            > Greensboro, NC

          • Garth
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
              The only advantage to the Rokuhan track is it come with screws and screw holes so it is fixed to the bridge beams and the rail joiners match Rokuhan track and there is a place fore the roadbed joiner to go when joining Rokuhan bridges to Rokuhan roadbed track.

              There is no reason why you could not use Micro Trains Flex but I would use Rokuhan rail joiners instead of Micro Trains ones as they are easier to install because of their more open design. the screw holes are metric not 00-90 so glue is what is required to fix the track, I think you could use the longest 00-90 with nut and washer below the bridge beam, to also secure the track tot the bridge beams. I know the bridge will bond with styrene liquid cement but not sure about the tie base of Micro Trains flex. I have shortened one of their bridges to 110mm in length using plastic cement from plastruct. In using the Rokuhan product your rail heights will be matched, which is not the case with MTL FLex, remember if you are using MTL SD40-2 they have low pilot plows so mismatched rail heights could constitute a hazard to smooth running. Using MTL Flex will give you closer tie spacing on the bridge and more ties to affix your guard rails to if you decide to add that feature and I would use code 40 rail for the guard rails if you can find it locally.I f you are using cide 50 rail I would suggest filing a small notch in the foot of the rial where you intend to bend it to form diamond end and just bending it will raise a bump in the rail head and the tail may not lay flat on the ties for gluing

              I found it easy to add guard rails to Rokuhan bridge track using code 40 rail and AC glue. Just laid the rail down and held with pencil rubber while I put a drop of ACC at every other tie. Rokuhan supplies screw with their track pieces to secure it to the bridge. I also use their bridge track where I have built small wooden trestle across small river or large creek.

              some ideas for your consideration

              regards Garth