Re: [Z_Scale] Re: AZL July 2013 New Rel ease – Part 2 Mikados!

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
      Hello Garth and thanks!
      I find your related experience to be very
      encouraging. I now have one on
      my list of "must save up for!"

      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com
      On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
      Edited for length
      > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
      >
      > regards Garth
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
      > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
      > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
      > >
      > > ...don
      > >

      > >EDITED
      > > >
      > > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
      > > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
      > > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
      > > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
      > > > Mikado pilot.
      > > >
      > > > We'll see!
      > > >
      > > > Reynard
      > >

      > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use � Send us Feedback
      > .

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
        Reynad;

        I figure if the Mikado can run on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City loop I was using and that it ran on curves which were down to 145mm and with Marklin turnouts some 15 years old and two Marklin double slips and a variety of Micro trains Peco and Marklin flex, and Marklin adjustable track over module junctions which made a hump at most of the joints, and the pilot wheels stayed on the track, then the pilot truck design is optimal for performance. If you have problems with this engines pilot wheel coming off the track then look to your track work not the engine.

        From my experience I expect this engine to perform like the Tenshodo D51's if not better. On good track work they will run like a Swiss watch, once started they won't stop till the power is removed from the rail or someone knocks it over.

        I want to try a K28 conversion for Nn3 with one of these, I still have one virgin kit left in my special projects box.

        regards Garth

        > Hello Garth and thanks!
        > I find your related experience to be very
        > encouraging. I now have one on
        > my list of "must save up for!"
        >
        > Reynard
        > http://www.micronart.com
        > On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
        > Edited for length
        > > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
        > >
        > > regards Garth
        > >
        > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
        > > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
        > > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
        > > >
        > > > ...don
        > > >

        > > >EDITED

        > > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
        > > .

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
          Hi Garth,
          Yes, it is almost impossible for most locos to negotiate
          poor trackwork. Especially real trains, no argument there.

          And it is impossible for a train to negotiate a 50 MPH
          curved track area while going 100 MPH. Tragically
          examples abound...

          peace,

          Reynard