Re: [Z_Scale] AZL July 2013 New Release – Part 2 M ikados!

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25 7:15 AM
      Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
      several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
      a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.

      ...don

      On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:

      > Hi Rob,
      > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
      > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
      > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
      > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
      > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
      >
      > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
      > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
      > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
      > neutralize that potential problem.
      >
      > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
      > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
      > that I have operated has had messy derailments
      > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
      > Mikado pilot.
      >
      > We'll see!
      >
      > Reynard
      >

      > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
      >
      > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
      > >
      > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
      > >
      > > Rob
      > >
      > > On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site
      > for closeup pix of the Mikado
      > > >
      > > > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
      > > >
      > > > Greg

      > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      > > Distributor American Z Line
      > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
      > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
      > > www.ztrack.com
      > > www.ztrackcenter.com
      > > www.ztrackresale.com
      > > www.zscaletrack.com
      > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
      > > Dublin OH 43016
      > > (614) 764-1703

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25 1:54 PM
        The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.

        regards Garth

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

        > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
        > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
        > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
        >
        > ...don
        >

        > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Rob,
        > > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
        > > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
        > > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
        > > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
        > > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
        > >
        > > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
        > > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
        > > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
        > > neutralize that potential problem.
        > >
        > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
        > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
        > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
        > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
        > > Mikado pilot.
        > >
        > > We'll see!
        > >
        > > Reynard
        > >

        > > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
        > >
        > > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
        > > >
        > > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
        > > >
        > > > Rob

        > > for closeup pix of the Mikado

        > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        > > > Distributor American Z Line
        > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
        > > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
        > > > www.ztrack.com
        > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
        > > > www.ztrackresale.com
        > > > www.zscaletrack.com
        > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
        > > > Dublin OH 43016
        > > > (614) 764-1703

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25 2:36 PM
          Hello Garth and thanks!
          I find your related experience to be very
          encouraging. I now have one on
          my list of "must save up for!"

          Reynard
          http://www.micronart.com
          On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
          Edited for length
          > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
          >
          > regards Garth
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
          > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
          > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
          > >
          > > ...don
          > >

          > >EDITED
          > > >
          > > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
          > > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
          > > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
          > > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
          > > > Mikado pilot.
          > > >
          > > > We'll see!
          > > >
          > > > Reynard
          > >

          > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use � Send us Feedback
          > .

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26 8:16 AM
            Reynad;

            I figure if the Mikado can run on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City loop I was using and that it ran on curves which were down to 145mm and with Marklin turnouts some 15 years old and two Marklin double slips and a variety of Micro trains Peco and Marklin flex, and Marklin adjustable track over module junctions which made a hump at most of the joints, and the pilot wheels stayed on the track, then the pilot truck design is optimal for performance. If you have problems with this engines pilot wheel coming off the track then look to your track work not the engine.

            From my experience I expect this engine to perform like the Tenshodo D51's if not better. On good track work they will run like a Swiss watch, once started they won't stop till the power is removed from the rail or someone knocks it over.

            I want to try a K28 conversion for Nn3 with one of these, I still have one virgin kit left in my special projects box.

            regards Garth

            > Hello Garth and thanks!
            > I find your related experience to be very
            > encouraging. I now have one on
            > my list of "must save up for!"
            >
            > Reynard
            > http://www.micronart.com
            > On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
            > Edited for length
            > > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
            > >
            > > regards Garth
            > >
            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
            > > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
            > > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
            > > >
            > > > ...don
            > > >

            > > >EDITED

            > > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
            > > .

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26 9:27 AM
              Hi Garth,
              Yes, it is almost impossible for most locos to negotiate
              poor trackwork. Especially real trains, no argument there.

              And it is impossible for a train to negotiate a 50 MPH
              curved track area while going 100 MPH. Tragically
              examples abound...

              peace,

              Reynard