Re: AZL July 2013 New Release – Part 2 Mikados!

  • Greg Elmassian
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 22, 2013
      I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado

      http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado

      Greg
    • Lee Barry
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
        very nice educational tool, now if only I coul get pictures and how to for the Tenshado steam engine that came with the set. Both wires have come loose from the tender to the engine on the engine end. Instruction sheets that came with the damned thing are only in Orientese, and I don't speck Orientalese, I am an American. Lee barry

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
          Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.

          Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)

          Rob

          On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:

          > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado
          >
          > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
          >
          > Greg

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          Distributor American Z Line
          Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
          InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          www.ztrackresale.com
          www.zscaletrack.com
          6142 Northcliff Blvd
          Dublin OH 43016
          (614) 764-1703

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
            Hi Rob,
            I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
            of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
            Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
            tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
            negotiating moderately large radius tracks.

            Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
            of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
            The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
            neutralize that potential problem.

            My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
            resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
            that I have operated has had messy derailments
            due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
            Mikado pilot.

            We'll see!

            Reynard

            On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:

            > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
            >
            > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado
            > >
            > > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
            > >
            > > Greg

            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            > Distributor American Z Line
            > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
            > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
            > www.ztrack.com
            > www.ztrackcenter.com
            > www.ztrackresale.com
            > www.zscaletrack.com
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
            > Dublin OH 43016
            > (614) 764-1703

          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
              > that I have operated has had messy derailments
              > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
              > Mikado pilot.

              Hopefully they've either weighted it or sprung it against the chassis
              block.

              Alan
            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.

                ...don

                On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:

                > Hi Rob,
                > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
                > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
                > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
                > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
                > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
                >
                > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
                > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
                > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
                > neutralize that potential problem.
                >
                > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                > Mikado pilot.
                >
                > We'll see!
                >
                > Reynard
                >

                > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
                >
                > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
                > >
                > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
                > >
                > > Rob
                > >
                > > On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site
                > for closeup pix of the Mikado
                > > >
                > > > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
                > > >
                > > > Greg

                > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                > > Distributor American Z Line
                > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                > > www.ztrack.com
                > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                > > www.ztrackresale.com
                > > www.zscaletrack.com
                > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                > > Dublin OH 43016
                > > (614) 764-1703

              • Garth
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                  The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.

                  regards Garth

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                  > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                  > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                  > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                  >
                  > ...don
                  >

                  > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Rob,
                  > > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
                  > > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
                  > > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
                  > > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
                  > > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
                  > >
                  > > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
                  > > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
                  > > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
                  > > neutralize that potential problem.
                  > >
                  > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                  > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                  > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                  > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                  > > Mikado pilot.
                  > >
                  > > We'll see!
                  > >
                  > > Reynard
                  > >

                  > > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
                  > > >
                  > > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
                  > > >
                  > > > Rob

                  > > for closeup pix of the Mikado

                  > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  > > > Distributor American Z Line
                  > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                  > > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                  > > > www.ztrack.com
                  > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                  > > > www.ztrackresale.com
                  > > > www.zscaletrack.com
                  > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  > > > Dublin OH 43016
                  > > > (614) 764-1703

                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                    Hello Garth and thanks!
                    I find your related experience to be very
                    encouraging. I now have one on
                    my list of "must save up for!"

                    Reynard
                    http://www.micronart.com
                    On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
                    Edited for length
                    > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
                    >
                    > regards Garth
                    >
                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                    > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                    > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                    > >
                    > > ...don
                    > >

                    > >EDITED
                    > > >
                    > > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                    > > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                    > > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                    > > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                    > > > Mikado pilot.
                    > > >
                    > > > We'll see!
                    > > >
                    > > > Reynard
                    > >

                    > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use � Send us Feedback
                    > .

                  • Garth
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
                      Reynad;

                      I figure if the Mikado can run on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City loop I was using and that it ran on curves which were down to 145mm and with Marklin turnouts some 15 years old and two Marklin double slips and a variety of Micro trains Peco and Marklin flex, and Marklin adjustable track over module junctions which made a hump at most of the joints, and the pilot wheels stayed on the track, then the pilot truck design is optimal for performance. If you have problems with this engines pilot wheel coming off the track then look to your track work not the engine.

                      From my experience I expect this engine to perform like the Tenshodo D51's if not better. On good track work they will run like a Swiss watch, once started they won't stop till the power is removed from the rail or someone knocks it over.

                      I want to try a K28 conversion for Nn3 with one of these, I still have one virgin kit left in my special projects box.

                      regards Garth

                      > Hello Garth and thanks!
                      > I find your related experience to be very
                      > encouraging. I now have one on
                      > my list of "must save up for!"
                      >
                      > Reynard
                      > http://www.micronart.com
                      > On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
                      > Edited for length
                      > > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
                      > >
                      > > regards Garth
                      > >
                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                      > > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                      > > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                      > > >
                      > > > ...don
                      > > >

                      > > >EDITED

                      > > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
                      > > .

                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
                        Hi Garth,
                        Yes, it is almost impossible for most locos to negotiate
                        poor trackwork. Especially real trains, no argument there.

                        And it is impossible for a train to negotiate a 50 MPH
                        curved track area while going 100 MPH. Tragically
                        examples abound...

                        peace,

                        Reynard