Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Budd passenger cars? TOFC?

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
      Brian,

      Z scale is almost the new kid on the block, and as a new kid, it takes time
      to be accepted as one of the gang.

      I think Z is basically where N was back in 1972, when Z first appeared. Now
      N is flooded with every imaginable product with many grades of quality,
      while Z is still very limited in comparison.

      It is true as Alan mentioned, there are far fewer folks involved in Z than
      in N or HO, but Z modelers can never be called on the carpet for not being
      very enthusiastic. Our enthusiasm runs over at any train show or on the
      forums and we are very passionate about our 'cute' little scale.

      What is also very true is the lack of products in Z as compared to N and HO.

      I think the bottom line in regards to what Z folks want generally speaking
      is "quality" for our dollar spent. Be is cast resin, wood, etched metal or
      any other material.....we want quality and as close to scale with as much
      detail as we can get for our dollar spent. In our scale, there are those
      who are pleased with 'good enough' but there are also those who really get
      excited when it comes to detail and accuracy.

      So, in conclusion, if you can provide a product or service that we Z folks
      want or need.......we will be happy to give you our money.
      Just don't ask for an arm and a leg. :o)

      If you want input as to what is desired, just ask on the forums, but be
      prepared for a long list of 'wants'. It's not that we are greedy, we just
      want what the other scales have already. And we also want to be recognized
      as legitimate modelers and with Z being much more than a passing fancy or
      novelty.

      We Z folks are very much here to stay and the more manufacturers can provide
      the stronger a voice we will have.

      Wishing you success in everything Z,

      Loren
      Z Train Things

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
        Loren,

        Terrific post, thank you!

        Z scale is ahead of TT scale in products available, but both groups, it's clear to me, are brothers in arms - devoted to its scale, and highly enthusiastic to boot.

        I'll do my best with my Z scale masters and the Z scale community will pass judgment. Hope my best is good enough.

        -Brian Chapman
        Evansdale, Iowa
      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
          Brian,
          Would you PM me at ljsnyder@charter please? Stepping out for a few minutes
          but will be back shortly.

          Loren

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
            If you make the quality stuff, it generally sells into the low hundreds in our Z scale. TOFC's are great and, there have been several produced. A few limited cast metal and the commercial AZL's. However, there are no trailers !!!! Tractor's we can get away with some RP's (3D printers) but the trailers just don't look right when RP'd.

            Jeff

            Sent 'from the road'

            On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:26 AM, "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

            > Loren,
            >
            > Terrific post, thank you!
            >
            > Z scale is ahead of TT scale in products available, but both groups, it's clear to me, are brothers in arms - devoted to its scale, and highly enthusiastic to boot.
            >
            > I'll do my best with my Z scale masters and the Z scale community will pass judgment. Hope my best is good enough.
            >
            > -Brian Chapman
            > Evansdale, Iowa

          • Edward Scullin
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
              Loen
              Read your post, and have but one thing to say "cute is a four letter word".
              Had that one pulled on me at this years NTS
              Ed Scullin

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                Ed,

                I don't mind the term 'cute', but I know it bothers some folks. I think
                they are cute or neat or cool or whatever you wish to describe them as.
                Main objective at train shows is to share the excitement and enjoyment of
                our hobby with the viewing public, hoping our enjoyment will be a bit
                contagious and rub off on others.

                I'm willing to wager the one using the term 'cute' was of the female
                persuasion?

                Loren

                Read your post, and have but one thing to say "cute is a four letter word".
                Had that one pulled on me at this years NTS
                Ed Scullin

              • John C. La Rue, Jr.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
                  "Cute" is the most common term among the ladies and is probably the reason there are so many women in Z. The term among the kids is "cool"; nothing odd about that as "cool" has been the universal term for approval since I was a kid and that was over 50 years ago.

                  As for the men, remarks like: "Maybe if you water it, it will grow" seem to be more the norm.

                  John C. La Rue, Jr.
                  Bonita Springs, FL