Budd passenger cars? TOFC?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
      Just a couple quick inquiries, if I may:

      1 - Are Budd passenger cars available in Z?

      2 - TOFC is my greatest rail interest, so I wonder how well stocked Z is for TOFC rail cars and trailers. My interest is from the inception of TrailerTrain in the middle 1950s through the 1960s.

      Thanks much,

      Brian Chapman
      Evansdale, Iowa
    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
        Brian,
        How about a couple of quick answers:
        1 - Yes Marklin has made them ("California Zephyr") and they're available in the resale market.
        2 - Yes, but not "well stocked". Marklin makes a two-pack railcar, tractor, trailer from that era. There are also several small vehicle makers making the trucks.

        Hope this helps,
        Mark
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

        > Just a couple quick inquiries, if I may:
        >
        > 1 - Are Budd passenger cars available in Z?
        >
        > 2 - TOFC is my greatest rail interest, so I wonder how well stocked Z is for TOFC rail cars and trailers. My interest is from the inception of TrailerTrain in the middle 1950s through the 1960s.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > Brian Chapman
        > Evansdale, Iowa

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
          Speaking of the Marklin TOFC: true, they consist of trailers AND tractors. However, I'm not aware of any intermodal transportation in the US made with trailer tractors on railroad cars. I've only seen trailers on flat cars (ie the true meaning of TOFC), but in no way their tractors.

          Dom

        • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            On Sat Jul 20, 2013 Brian Chapman wrote:

            Posted by: "Brian" cornbeltroute <mailto:cornbeltroute@...?subject=Re%3A%20Budd%20passenger%20cars%3F%20TOFC%3F>
            Just a couple quick inquiries, if I may:

            1 - Are Budd passenger cars available in Z?

            2 - TOFC is my greatest rail interest, so I wonder how well stocked Z is for TOFC rail cars and trailers. My interest is from the inception of TrailerTrain in the middle 1950s through the 1960s.

            Brian Chapman
            Evansdale, Iowa

            Brian,

            E & D Models, LLC makes (or made, I haven't checked lately) 89' flats for TOFC. They took over from Alan Curtis. These are bare metal kits. AZL makes RTR 89' flats that could be used for TOFC, although they come with the AZL containers, not trailers. Some of this stuff may be out of your time era, 1950s-1960s. There are shorter flat cars available, i'm not sure when the longer trailers came in.

            Someone said that there are several sources of trailers. The only source (that I know of) for true N. American style !:220 trailers is Shapeways rapid prototyping. Those are somewhat fragile and you have to paint them and come up with decals. There are companies in Europe (Herpa for example) that make European trucks that often don't look like N.A. trucks, quite noticeably different. There are also trucks available in 1:200 and 1:250, but they wouldn't look so good on a 1:220 flatcar.

            Sorry to be so negative. We need injection molded, pad printed 1:220 N. American trailers. Micro-Trains has done this in N scale, but don't hold your breath to see it from them in Z scale.

            CheerZ,
            -- Malcolm Z
            MCZ Models

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
              Mark, Dom, Malcolm, thank you for the information. It is helpful.

              Like so many others have already done, I'm gearing up a tiny cottage business. I use 2D/3D software to draw and proof my project items, cut pieces on a CNC mill and CNC lathe, build the master and move on to the casting shop (resin and metal).

              I'm trying to get a sense of what Z scale is about, and whether there's a need/desire for a resin caster to do a bit of work in the scale, that is, include Z scale with the other scales in which I intend to work.

              I need many different trailer types for the N scale CGW layout I'm building and for the TT scale modules I plan to construct.

              Thanks much,

              Brian Chapman
              Evansdale, Iowa
            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:13:22 -0000
                "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

                > Mark, Dom, Malcolm, thank you for the information. It is helpful.
                >
                > Like so many others have already done, I'm gearing up a tiny cottage business. I use 2D/3D software to draw and proof my project items, cut pieces on a CNC mill and CNC lathe, build the master and move on to the casting shop (resin and metal).

                I run a small cottage business in the UK mostly doing N gauge. With T, Z
                and with N I'm finding it is small enough that its usually cheaper to 3D
                print final product than resin cast it at the quality I want. Sometimes
                combining that with etched, vinyl or decal overlays.

                If your metal casting includes diecasting then you may have a good
                opportunity to produce some of the flatter vehicles that don't 3D print
                or cast well in resin (ie they tend to go banana shaped over time even
                with good resins). Not something I've pursued as the household management
                wouldn't approve of diecasting at home ;-)

                On the plus side there are lots of things not available in Z, on the
                negative side there are not that many Z modellers - but its an
                enthusiastic bunch!

                Alan
              • Brian
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Alan, thanks much! I'm an inexperienced caster, and I know I've got many tough lessons to learn as I move along.

                  I have a never-used spin-casting machine (see what I mean about a learning curve?) plus other methods of production, but not die-casting.

                  I really don't want to cast 500 of something, I'd rather work with smaller, enthusiastic groups (TT is another one) than pour resin endlessly.

                  -Brian Chapman
                  Evansdale, Iowa
                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Brian,

                    Z scale is almost the new kid on the block, and as a new kid, it takes time
                    to be accepted as one of the gang.

                    I think Z is basically where N was back in 1972, when Z first appeared. Now
                    N is flooded with every imaginable product with many grades of quality,
                    while Z is still very limited in comparison.

                    It is true as Alan mentioned, there are far fewer folks involved in Z than
                    in N or HO, but Z modelers can never be called on the carpet for not being
                    very enthusiastic. Our enthusiasm runs over at any train show or on the
                    forums and we are very passionate about our 'cute' little scale.

                    What is also very true is the lack of products in Z as compared to N and HO.

                    I think the bottom line in regards to what Z folks want generally speaking
                    is "quality" for our dollar spent. Be is cast resin, wood, etched metal or
                    any other material.....we want quality and as close to scale with as much
                    detail as we can get for our dollar spent. In our scale, there are those
                    who are pleased with 'good enough' but there are also those who really get
                    excited when it comes to detail and accuracy.

                    So, in conclusion, if you can provide a product or service that we Z folks
                    want or need.......we will be happy to give you our money.
                    Just don't ask for an arm and a leg. :o)

                    If you want input as to what is desired, just ask on the forums, but be
                    prepared for a long list of 'wants'. It's not that we are greedy, we just
                    want what the other scales have already. And we also want to be recognized
                    as legitimate modelers and with Z being much more than a passing fancy or
                    novelty.

                    We Z folks are very much here to stay and the more manufacturers can provide
                    the stronger a voice we will have.

                    Wishing you success in everything Z,

                    Loren
                    Z Train Things

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Loren,

                      Terrific post, thank you!

                      Z scale is ahead of TT scale in products available, but both groups, it's clear to me, are brothers in arms - devoted to its scale, and highly enthusiastic to boot.

                      I'll do my best with my Z scale masters and the Z scale community will pass judgment. Hope my best is good enough.

                      -Brian Chapman
                      Evansdale, Iowa
                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                        Brian,
                        Would you PM me at ljsnyder@charter please? Stepping out for a few minutes
                        but will be back shortly.

                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                          If you make the quality stuff, it generally sells into the low hundreds in our Z scale. TOFC's are great and, there have been several produced. A few limited cast metal and the commercial AZL's. However, there are no trailers !!!! Tractor's we can get away with some RP's (3D printers) but the trailers just don't look right when RP'd.

                          Jeff

                          Sent 'from the road'

                          On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:26 AM, "Brian" <cornbeltroute@...> wrote:

                          > Loren,
                          >
                          > Terrific post, thank you!
                          >
                          > Z scale is ahead of TT scale in products available, but both groups, it's clear to me, are brothers in arms - devoted to its scale, and highly enthusiastic to boot.
                          >
                          > I'll do my best with my Z scale masters and the Z scale community will pass judgment. Hope my best is good enough.
                          >
                          > -Brian Chapman
                          > Evansdale, Iowa

                        • Edward Scullin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                            Loen
                            Read your post, and have but one thing to say "cute is a four letter word".
                            Had that one pulled on me at this years NTS
                            Ed Scullin

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                              Ed,

                              I don't mind the term 'cute', but I know it bothers some folks. I think
                              they are cute or neat or cool or whatever you wish to describe them as.
                              Main objective at train shows is to share the excitement and enjoyment of
                              our hobby with the viewing public, hoping our enjoyment will be a bit
                              contagious and rub off on others.

                              I'm willing to wager the one using the term 'cute' was of the female
                              persuasion?

                              Loren

                              Read your post, and have but one thing to say "cute is a four letter word".
                              Had that one pulled on me at this years NTS
                              Ed Scullin

                            • John C. La Rue, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 23, 2013
                                "Cute" is the most common term among the ladies and is probably the reason there are so many women in Z. The term among the kids is "cool"; nothing odd about that as "cool" has been the universal term for approval since I was a kid and that was over 50 years ago.

                                As for the men, remarks like: "Maybe if you water it, it will grow" seem to be more the norm.

                                John C. La Rue, Jr.
                                Bonita Springs, FL