Re: Rokuhan Control and Turnout wires

  • viktor_kovacs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
      Hi,

      Since mostly I build my own electronics, I just removed
      the connectors and replaced them with regular pin connectors
      used on most computer motherboards, Tomix N scale equipment
      and various japanese servos and rc equipment. Using standard
      pcb connectors makes it easy to solder together wiring boards
      or even connect everything to ribbon cables and do most of
      the assembly on a table then just plug in everyting during
      assembly (no screws required). Also, most computer control
      equipment has either screw terminals or standard pin rows
      as outputs. These connectors are really small, so it's much
      easier to route them though anything and even an extension
      connector can be hidden on the surface, because the whole
      thing is small.

      As you can see, the tomix connector is barely larger than
      the cable and there are even smaller profile connectors on
      the market:
      www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10010014a.jpg

      The pc version, mostly used for jumpers, but also for
      various cables inside the computer:
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

      So, I don't really know why rokuhan didn't use the standard
      connectors, that most japanese manufacturers use, but they
      certainly selected huge plugs. However their switch motors
      are perfectly hidden under the switches and since that's
      what would be visible on a layout, the plugs don't really
      matter that much.

      just my 2 cents: Viktor Kovacs