Re: Rokuhan Control and Turnout wires

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
      The connectors use the same pins as regular Mini Tamiya connectors and there is a tool available that makes it easy to collapse the little brads on the pins and push them out. Then you can use a smaller hole in your layout and reinsert the pins into the connectors. Just keep track of which wire goes into which side of the connector.

      Unfortunately, rokuhan uses a proprietary shape for it's switch plugs, so you can's just make your own extenders. If you need to extend the length of the connecting wire, then you do need to do some cutting and splicing.

      RGM

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

      > I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.
      >
      > Mack
      >
      > Greensboro, NC

    • viktor_kovacs
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
        Hi,

        Since mostly I build my own electronics, I just removed
        the connectors and replaced them with regular pin connectors
        used on most computer motherboards, Tomix N scale equipment
        and various japanese servos and rc equipment. Using standard
        pcb connectors makes it easy to solder together wiring boards
        or even connect everything to ribbon cables and do most of
        the assembly on a table then just plug in everyting during
        assembly (no screws required). Also, most computer control
        equipment has either screw terminals or standard pin rows
        as outputs. These connectors are really small, so it's much
        easier to route them though anything and even an extension
        connector can be hidden on the surface, because the whole
        thing is small.

        As you can see, the tomix connector is barely larger than
        the cable and there are even smaller profile connectors on
        the market:
        www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10010014a.jpg

        The pc version, mostly used for jumpers, but also for
        various cables inside the computer:
        en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

        So, I don't really know why rokuhan didn't use the standard
        connectors, that most japanese manufacturers use, but they
        certainly selected huge plugs. However their switch motors
        are perfectly hidden under the switches and since that's
        what would be visible on a layout, the plugs don't really
        matter that much.

        just my 2 cents: Viktor Kovacs