Re: Rokuhan Control and Turnout wires

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2013
      Mack,
      I just cut a rectangular hole. Easy in foam. In a hard surface I cut a rectangular hole with a couple of adjacent 1/4" holes into a rectangular (doesn't have to be pretty) near the center of the track piece and a slot to the point I want the wire to pass through.

      Mark

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

      > I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.
      >
      > Mack
      >
      > Greensboro, NC

    • rgminutillo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
        The connectors use the same pins as regular Mini Tamiya connectors and there is a tool available that makes it easy to collapse the little brads on the pins and push them out. Then you can use a smaller hole in your layout and reinsert the pins into the connectors. Just keep track of which wire goes into which side of the connector.

        Unfortunately, rokuhan uses a proprietary shape for it's switch plugs, so you can's just make your own extenders. If you need to extend the length of the connecting wire, then you do need to do some cutting and splicing.

        RGM

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

        > I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.
        >
        > Mack
        >
        > Greensboro, NC

      • viktor_kovacs
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
          Hi,

          Since mostly I build my own electronics, I just removed
          the connectors and replaced them with regular pin connectors
          used on most computer motherboards, Tomix N scale equipment
          and various japanese servos and rc equipment. Using standard
          pcb connectors makes it easy to solder together wiring boards
          or even connect everything to ribbon cables and do most of
          the assembly on a table then just plug in everyting during
          assembly (no screws required). Also, most computer control
          equipment has either screw terminals or standard pin rows
          as outputs. These connectors are really small, so it's much
          easier to route them though anything and even an extension
          connector can be hidden on the surface, because the whole
          thing is small.

          As you can see, the tomix connector is barely larger than
          the cable and there are even smaller profile connectors on
          the market:
          www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10010014a.jpg

          The pc version, mostly used for jumpers, but also for
          various cables inside the computer:
          en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

          So, I don't really know why rokuhan didn't use the standard
          connectors, that most japanese manufacturers use, but they
          certainly selected huge plugs. However their switch motors
          are perfectly hidden under the switches and since that's
          what would be visible on a layout, the plugs don't really
          matter that much.

          just my 2 cents: Viktor Kovacs