Rokuhan Control and Turnout wires

  • gardenrails
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2013
      I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.

      Mack

      Greensboro, NC
    • David Mummery
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2013
        Hey Mack.

        NO, don't cut the plug off!
        You can back the pins out of the plug housing. When you reinsert the pins, the black with white strip wire alines with the plug closest to the external clip.
        With the plug off, you can pull the wires through an 1/8" hole under your floating turnout.
        Dave

        Dave Mummery

        http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
        http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/

        From: gardenrails <gardenrails@...>
        Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:13:52
        To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Z_Scale] Rokuhan Control and Turnout wires

        I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.

        Mack

        Greensboro, NC
      • Lindley Ruddick
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2013
          I agree, do not cut the wires and the splice. I drilled large holes and then glued a piece of thin wood to the underside. The when I CAREFULLY added scenery around the turnout, that covered the hole.
          I think there is a YouTube video someplace on the tool to "remove" the pins. It may be on the Rokuhan site.

          On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "David Mummery " <d_mummery@...> wrote:

          > Hey Mack.
          >
          > NO, don't cut the plug off!
          > You can back the pins out of the plug housing. When you reinsert the pins, the black with white strip wire alines with the plug closest to the external clip.
          > With the plug off, you can pull the wires through an 1/8" hole under your floating turnout.
          > Dave
          >
          > Dave Mummery
          >
          > http://27squaresof220ing.blogspot.com/
          > http://tractionmadness.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone

        • mark2playz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2013
            Mack,
            I just cut a rectangular hole. Easy in foam. In a hard surface I cut a rectangular hole with a couple of adjacent 1/4" holes into a rectangular (doesn't have to be pretty) near the center of the track piece and a slot to the point I want the wire to pass through.

            Mark

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

            > I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.
            >
            > Mack
            >
            > Greensboro, NC

          • rgminutillo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
              The connectors use the same pins as regular Mini Tamiya connectors and there is a tool available that makes it easy to collapse the little brads on the pins and push them out. Then you can use a smaller hole in your layout and reinsert the pins into the connectors. Just keep track of which wire goes into which side of the connector.

              Unfortunately, rokuhan uses a proprietary shape for it's switch plugs, so you can's just make your own extenders. If you need to extend the length of the connecting wire, then you do need to do some cutting and splicing.

              RGM

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "gardenrails" <gardenrails@...> wrote:

              > I am in the process of laying out for track and turnouts. Those of you that are using the Rokuhan track and switches, do you cut the plug off the switch and fish the wire from the switch through a small hole in the bench work and splice the wire back together underneath or do you drill a rather large hole and leave the plug on? I am using the Rokuhan controllers so it is nice to be able to plug every thing directly into the controllers but the switch plugs are quite large and the plug for the power feed to the track is pretty large as well.
              >
              > Mack
              >
              > Greensboro, NC

            • viktor_kovacs
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
                Hi,

                Since mostly I build my own electronics, I just removed
                the connectors and replaced them with regular pin connectors
                used on most computer motherboards, Tomix N scale equipment
                and various japanese servos and rc equipment. Using standard
                pcb connectors makes it easy to solder together wiring boards
                or even connect everything to ribbon cables and do most of
                the assembly on a table then just plug in everyting during
                assembly (no screws required). Also, most computer control
                equipment has either screw terminals or standard pin rows
                as outputs. These connectors are really small, so it's much
                easier to route them though anything and even an extension
                connector can be hidden on the surface, because the whole
                thing is small.

                As you can see, the tomix connector is barely larger than
                the cable and there are even smaller profile connectors on
                the market:
                www.1999.co.jp/itbig01/10010014a.jpg

                The pc version, mostly used for jumpers, but also for
                various cables inside the computer:
                en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jumperblock-shunts.jpg

                So, I don't really know why rokuhan didn't use the standard
                connectors, that most japanese manufacturers use, but they
                certainly selected huge plugs. However their switch motors
                are perfectly hidden under the switches and since that's
                what would be visible on a layout, the plugs don't really
                matter that much.

                just my 2 cents: Viktor Kovacs