AZL July 2013 New Release – Part 2 Mikados!

  • Robert Kluz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
      July 2013 New Release � Part 2

      The Mikados have arrived!! AZL is proud to announce the release of the USRA Light Mikados. The National Train Show will be the official release of the series. To coincide with the NTS in Atlanta, the first road name offered will be Southern. Three road numbers are available:

      50004-1 SRR USRA Light Mikado 4750 - MSRP $219.00

      50004-2 SRR USRA Light Mikado 4753 - MSRP $219.00

      50004-3 SRR USRA Light Mikado 4754 - MSRP $219.00

      The Mikados feature:

      - Fine injection molded details

      - Highly complex working side rods

      - Filigree hand rails

      - Intricate pad printing

      - Directional controlled LED

      - Traction tires

      - Tender power pickup

      - Working front coupler for double heading

      - Front coupler can also be easily removed

      - AZL AutoLatch TM couplers

      - Minimum radius of 220mm recommended

      Each Mikado is being test run in the Ztrack offices. We do recommend customers break-in the locomotives for optimal performance. Also, customers should pickup the locomotives and tenders together. If this is not done, the drive train between the tender and locomotive may become disengaged. It is easily reinstalled.

      Come see the full line of Mikados at the National Train Show in Atlanta!

      CN/GTW 8-1-2 sleeper and paired window coaches!

      71213-1 CN 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper CN Green/Black - Morning Glory - MSRP $53.00

      71213-2 CN 8-1-2 Pullman Sleeper CN Green/Black - John Jacob Astor - MSRP $53.00

      71713-1 CN Paired Window Coach CN Green/Black - 986 - MSRP $53.00

      71713-2 CN Paired Window Coach CN Green/Black - 989 - MSRP $53.00

      71713-3 GTW Paired Window Coach CN Green/Black - 5333 - MSRP $53.00

      Photos of all new items can be found at: http://www.americanzline.com/

      Vacation notice� The Ztrack offices will be closed July 18th through July 22nd for the National Train Show in Atlanta. We hope to see you there!

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      Distributor American Z Line
      Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
      InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      www.zscaletrack.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22, 2013
        I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado

        http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado

        Greg
      • Lee Barry
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
          very nice educational tool, now if only I coul get pictures and how to for the Tenshado steam engine that came with the set. Both wires have come loose from the tender to the engine on the engine end. Instruction sheets that came with the damned thing are only in Orientese, and I don't speck Orientalese, I am an American. Lee barry

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
            Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.

            Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)

            Rob

            On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:

            > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado
            >
            > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
            >
            > Greg

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            Distributor American Z Line
            Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
            InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            www.zscaletrack.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
              Hi Rob,
              I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
              of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
              Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
              tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
              negotiating moderately large radius tracks.

              Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
              of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
              The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
              neutralize that potential problem.

              My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
              resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
              that I have operated has had messy derailments
              due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
              Mikado pilot.

              We'll see!

              Reynard

              On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:

              > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
              >
              > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
              >
              > Rob
              >
              > On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site for closeup pix of the Mikado
              > >
              > > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
              > >
              > > Greg

              > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              > Distributor American Z Line
              > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
              > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
              > www.ztrack.com
              > www.ztrackcenter.com
              > www.ztrackresale.com
              > www.zscaletrack.com
              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
              > Dublin OH 43016
              > (614) 764-1703

            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                > Mikado pilot.

                Hopefully they've either weighted it or sprung it against the chassis
                block.

                Alan
              • Don Avila
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                  several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                  a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.

                  ...don

                  On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:

                  > Hi Rob,
                  > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
                  > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
                  > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
                  > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
                  > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
                  >
                  > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
                  > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
                  > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
                  > neutralize that potential problem.
                  >
                  > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                  > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                  > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                  > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                  > Mikado pilot.
                  >
                  > We'll see!
                  >
                  > Reynard
                  >

                  > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
                  >
                  > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
                  > >
                  > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
                  > >
                  > > Rob
                  > >
                  > > On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Greg Elmassian <greg@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I took some pictures as the "master" took one apart, see my web site
                  > for closeup pix of the Mikado
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.elmassian.com/z-scale-trains/z-motive-power/azl-mikado
                  > > >
                  > > > Greg

                  > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  > > Distributor American Z Line
                  > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                  > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                  > > www.ztrack.com
                  > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                  > > www.ztrackresale.com
                  > > www.zscaletrack.com
                  > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  > > Dublin OH 43016
                  > > (614) 764-1703

                • Garth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                    The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.

                    regards Garth

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                    > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                    > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                    > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                    >
                    > ...don
                    >

                    > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reynard Wellman <micron@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Rob,
                    > > I concur. It is an excellent photographic exploration
                    > > of this stunning looking (and I hope performing) new
                    > > Mikado. The mass (weights} in both the boiler and
                    > > tender, should provide little to "no problem" for
                    > > negotiating moderately large radius tracks.
                    > >
                    > > Also, the "thick" wires from tender to boiler should be
                    > > of little consequence as to the rolling performance.
                    > > The heavy weights and the strong draw bar should
                    > > neutralize that potential problem.
                    > >
                    > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                    > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                    > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                    > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                    > > Mikado pilot.
                    > >
                    > > We'll see!
                    > >
                    > > Reynard
                    > >

                    > > On Jul 24, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Robert Kluz wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Greg great report! The close up photos are amazing.
                    > > >
                    > > > Just one clarification. The 'rusted' screw is actually 'weathered'. :)
                    > > >
                    > > > Rob

                    > > for closeup pix of the Mikado

                    > > > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > > > Distributor American Z Line
                    > > > Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                    > > > InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                    > > > www.ztrack.com
                    > > > www.ztrackcenter.com
                    > > > www.ztrackresale.com
                    > > > www.zscaletrack.com
                    > > > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    > > > Dublin OH 43016
                    > > > (614) 764-1703

                  • Reynard Wellman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
                      Hello Garth and thanks!
                      I find your related experience to be very
                      encouraging. I now have one on
                      my list of "must save up for!"

                      Reynard
                      http://www.micronart.com
                      On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
                      Edited for length
                      > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
                      >
                      > regards Garth
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                      > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                      > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                      > >
                      > > ...don
                      > >

                      > >EDITED
                      > > >
                      > > > My only concern is how well the pilot wheels
                      > > > resist derailment. Every Mikado from Z, N to HO
                      > > > that I have operated has had messy derailments
                      > > > due to a "jitterbugging", light weight, single axle
                      > > > Mikado pilot.
                      > > >
                      > > > We'll see!
                      > > >
                      > > > Reynard
                      > >

                      > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use � Send us Feedback
                      > .

                    • Garth
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
                        Reynad;

                        I figure if the Mikado can run on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City loop I was using and that it ran on curves which were down to 145mm and with Marklin turnouts some 15 years old and two Marklin double slips and a variety of Micro trains Peco and Marklin flex, and Marklin adjustable track over module junctions which made a hump at most of the joints, and the pilot wheels stayed on the track, then the pilot truck design is optimal for performance. If you have problems with this engines pilot wheel coming off the track then look to your track work not the engine.

                        From my experience I expect this engine to perform like the Tenshodo D51's if not better. On good track work they will run like a Swiss watch, once started they won't stop till the power is removed from the rail or someone knocks it over.

                        I want to try a K28 conversion for Nn3 with one of these, I still have one virgin kit left in my special projects box.

                        regards Garth

                        > Hello Garth and thanks!
                        > I find your related experience to be very
                        > encouraging. I now have one on
                        > my list of "must save up for!"
                        >
                        > Reynard
                        > http://www.micronart.com
                        > On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Garth wrote:
                        > Edited for length
                        > > The only turnout that caused the any trouble with the AZL Mikado was the Marklin double slip ones and there were two in the loop I ran it on. I am not sure if it was too tight a back to back on the drivers or what but going through the metal diamond on that turnout slowed the engine down like it was on a grade. Dave's layout has quite a few ups and downs at junctions of each section of the layout and they caused no trouble to this engine. I only had one time the pilot derailed and I found that the track was kinked at the rail joiner on the inside of a curve tightening the radius and the pilot wheel flange hit the end of the rail and bounced over it and once that was fixed it did not cause a problem again during the four hours I ran it. Good speed control from slow to fast.
                        > >
                        > > regards Garth
                        > >
                        > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Garth ran one at the train show with 12 to 14 cars in the consist. Over
                        > > > several hours of operation I never saw a derailment. Marklin turnouts are
                        > > > a little pesky, but he seemed to tweak them for the Southern.
                        > > >
                        > > > ...don
                        > > >

                        > > >EDITED

                        > > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback
                        > > .

                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
                          Hi Garth,
                          Yes, it is almost impossible for most locos to negotiate
                          poor trackwork. Especially real trains, no argument there.

                          And it is impossible for a train to negotiate a 50 MPH
                          curved track area while going 100 MPH. Tragically
                          examples abound...

                          peace,

                          Reynard