Re: New Peco Rail Joiners

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
      The Peco illustration show the wire soldered at right angles to the rail joiner in Z scale this is a very small cross section and joint can easily be broken it the wire is move to much. I solder the wire in line with the joiner with an elbow already bent in it, so wire is already pointing down below joiner. I it is easy to make a jig for soldering wire to rail joiners. Just need a short piece of scrap rail put it into a pin vice to hold it and put the pin vise in the jaws of a bigger vice with the bottom of the rail facing up, push rail joiner onto rail, then solder wire to back of rail joiner making sure you don't over do it solder rail joiner to the rail being used as a jig. Once done install on track and put wire down through the road bed through a small hole, so wire is hidden as well as solder joint, this insures no melted ties on track. This is best done with new rail joiners so they are a tight fit to the rail across the joint of two rails. To make the joint tin the end of the wire and the back of the rail joiner. bend the elbow in the wire put foot of elbow on rail joiner and apply heat from iron to the wire when you see solder melt in the joint between the wire and joiner remove the iron from your joint and let cool should be done, now you can install it. You want to use a rosin core solder fairly fine in diameter. DO not use plumbing type older and flux as it is not designed for this application and will destroy your track at joint over time. Use solder designed for soldering component to a circuit board.

      regards Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

      > Kev,
      > As you describe, is exactly how I do it. However Peco is advertising them prefab: http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=PL80
      > and was wondering about the cost/labor trade-off.
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Brady <kbvrod@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Mark,all,
      > > I do use Peco N-scale code 55 on the Z layout I am
      > > building(still!)
      > > I usually solder feeders underneath the rails,....
      > >
      > > Best,Kev
      > >
      > > On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM, mark2playz <mark.markham@>wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed
      > > > rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has
      > > > seen them and can comment?
      > > >
      > > > Mark
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service

    • rgminutillo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
        I only have experience with sectional track, but I have used the Atlas N-scale pre-wired rail joiners and they seem to work very well on Marklin track. Tougher to use them on road-bed track, or course, but not impossible.

        RGM

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

        > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has seen them and can comment?
        >
        > Mark

      • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
          Folks,

          I believe that Atlas has had these rail joiners with feeders pre-soldered available for some time. As Garth says, it's easy enough to do for yourself, but if it's too much hassle (I'm certain not everyone has Garth's skills), the Atlas joiners would be satisfactory.

          CheerZ,
          -- Malcolm Z
          MCZ Models

        • mark2playz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
            All,
            Thanks for the input. My main interest was whether Peco was doing something superior to what I can do, such as a spot weld.

            Mark

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "rgminutillo" <rgminutillo@...> wrote:

            > I only have experience with sectional track, but I have used the Atlas N-scale pre-wired rail joiners and they seem to work very well on Marklin track. Tougher to use them on road-bed track, or course, but not impossible.
            >
            > RGM
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I noticed an ad from Peco in the current issue of MR announcing power feed rail joiners for all rail codes. No details given. Wonder if anyone has seen them and can comment?
            > >
            > > Mark

          • Kevin Brady
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9, 2013
              Hi Mark,all,
              That I doubt.Easy to do,...

              And yes Atlas did these per-solderered rail joiners in HO and N.
              As I stated before I had to solder Veissmann Z-scale signal kits with macro
              LED's and circuit boards.

              Best,Kev

              --
              Dr. Dirt's Weathering Service